Light Switch Grounding and Position
How to Locate the Ground Screw and Positioning The Switch – The ground wire must be attached to the ground screw on the light switch. The ground screw location may be different with different brand switches.
The Ground Screw and Positioning the Switch
Electrical Question: Where should the ground wire be positioned on a switch?
- I have a 2-way switch in a bathroom with an exhaust fan, all the wires are black.
- Should the ground wire go on top left or lower right, or I guess I should ask, what should the orientation of the switch be?
This electrical wiring question came from: Edward, a Homeowner from Houston, Texas.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Edward.
The Ground Screw on a Light Switch
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
How to Locate the Ground Screw and Positioning the Switch
- The ground wire must be attached to the ground screw on the light switch.
- The ground screw location may be different with different brand switches.
- Most switches have the “TOP” orientation stamped or printed on the switch frame.
- If the label or position is not given then it really will not matter and the orientation is up to your personal preference.
- For the sake of being user friendly and avoid confusion the up position is typically the ON position for single toggle switches.
- Don’t even worry about three way switches because the switch position changes when ever it is used.
- With flat panel switches or smooth face touch switches you still need to know which end is On due to touch travel.
The Following will assist you with your electrical question:
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
Bathroom Electrical Wiring Requirements
- This wiring diagram and pictures explain the basic bathroom electrical code wiring requirements required for most new or remodel projects.
- Give your bathroom a face lift when you enhance the electrical devices that will bring out the best in you.
- Make your eyes sparkle with get a breath of fresh air when you install one of these smart upgrades.
Browse other questions about this topic:
Electrical Wiring Switch Ground ground screw, ground wire, light switch, orientation of the ground screw, position of the light switch ground screw, single switch, switch ground screw, toggle switch, touch switch
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.