Installing Bathroom Recessed Lighting
How to Install Recessed Light Fixtures in a Bathroom Location: Which recessed light fixtures should I buy for a bathroom?
Recessed Lighting for a Bathroom
Electrical Question: Which recessed light fixtures should I buy for a bathroom?
- I’m installing recessed lights in the bathroom.
- What fixtures should I buy to comply with code requirements for wet areas?
Thank you, Greg.
This electrical wiring question came from: Gregory, a Handyman from San Mateo, California.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Gregory.
How to Install Recessed Light Fixtures in Bathroom Areas
Application: Installing Recessed Light Fixtures.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the light fixtures.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional light fixture wiring should be done with a permit and be inspected.
Installing Recessed Lights in Wet Locations
- If the fixture will be in the shower or bath tub area then it’s really all about the trim.
- A recessed light fixture for these areas must have a trim that will be moisture proof, and this typically means that there will be a gasket, then there must be a non-breakable or tempered glass lens.
- An idea recessed light fixture would be one that has a fluorescent lamp that will produce a good amount of light and will have the benefit of energy efficiency as well.
- If an incandescent type of recessed fixture is being considered then understand that these fixtures have high temperature heat sensors that will turn off the lamp if it gets too hot, and many times this is a problem even when using a 60 watt bulb.
- This problem can be corrected by installing a 56 watt energy saving lamp but the level of light will be less.
- While a fluorescent recessed fixture is more expensive for the initial purchase, when all things are considered, I believe they are a better choice because of the superior light and the energy savings.
- The fluorescent lamps only consume about 23 watts or about half of a comparable incandescent light bulb.
More about Installing Recessed Light Fixtures
Installing Recessed Lighting
- This article is about recessed lighting for your home electrical improvements.
- Discover how recessed lighting can enhance the mood of any room in your home.
Bathroom Electrical Wiring Requirements
- This wiring diagram and pictures explain the basic bathroom electrical code wiring requirements required for most new or remodel projects.
- Give your bathroom a face lift when you enhance the electrical devices that will bring out the best in you.
- Make your eyes sparkle with get a breath of fresh air when you install one of these smart upgrades.
Home Electrical Codes
- Electrical Codes covering GFCI, and lighting codes.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Lighting, Recessed Can Light and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Identifying and Repairing Electrical Wiring||Kitchen Stove Not Working After Kitchen Installation|