» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Installing Bathroom Recessed Lighting
How to Install Recessed Light Fixtures in a Bathroom Location: Which recessed light fixtures should I buy for a bathroom?
Recessed Lighting for a Bathroom
[ad#block]Electrical Question: Which recessed light fixtures should I buy for a bathroom?
- I’m installing recessed lights in the bathroom.
- What fixtures should I buy to comply with code requirements for wet areas?
Thank you, Greg.
This electrical wiring question came from: Gregory, a Handyman from San Mateo, California.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Gregory.
How to Install Recessed Light Fixtures in Bathroom Areas
Application: Installing Recessed Light Fixtures.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the light fixtures.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional light fixture wiring should be done with a permit and be inspected.
Installing Recessed Lights in Wet Locations
- If the fixture will be in the shower or bath tub area then it’s really all about the trim.
- A recessed light fixture for these areas must have a trim that will be moisture proof, and this typically means that there will be a gasket, then there must be a non-breakable or tempered glass lens.
- An idea recessed light fixture would be one that has a fluorescent lamp that will produce a good amount of light and will have the benefit of energy efficiency as well.
- If an incandescent type of recessed fixture is being considered then understand that these fixtures have high temperature heat sensors that will turn off the lamp if it gets too hot, and many times this is a problem even when using a 60 watt bulb.
- This problem can be corrected by installing a 56 watt energy saving lamp but the level of light will be less.
- While a fluorescent recessed fixture is more expensive for the initial purchase, when all things are considered, I believe they are a better choice because of the superior light and the energy savings.
- The fluorescent lamps only consume about 23 watts or about half of a comparable incandescent light bulb.
More about Installing Recessed Light Fixtures
Installing Recessed Lighting
- This article is about recessed lighting for your home electrical improvements.
- Discover how recessed lighting can enhance the mood of any room in your home.
Bathroom Electrical Wiring Requirements
- This wiring diagram and pictures explain the basic bathroom electrical code wiring requirements required for most new or remodel projects.
- Give your bathroom a face lift when you enhance the electrical devices that will bring out the best in you.
- Make your eyes sparkle with get a breath of fresh air when you install one of these smart upgrades.
Home Electrical Codes
- Electrical Codes covering GFCI, and lighting codes.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Lighting, Recessed Can Light and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Identifying and Repairing Electrical Wiring||Kitchen Stove Not Working After Kitchen Installation|