Installing an Underground Electrical Service and Pull Box
How to Install an Underground Electrical Service for a Home: Electrical Pull Box And a PVC 90 Degree Sweep to the Panel, Electrical Code about a Main Electrical Service Disconnect Switch.
Underground Electrical Service for a Home
Electrical Question #1: Dave, I worked in the electrical trade for years, but being retired for 8 years, I am faced with an electrical question.
- I am doing the underground for my new home.
- The meter with a 200amp disconnect is up the hill from the home.
- I have about 160 ft to the bottom of the hill where I want to put a pull box for the incoming conduit (3 ” PVC).
- From there it is 70 ft to the home where the load center is in the garage.
- A 230 foot length of PVC conduit is too long a pull for me.
- Can I put a pull box there instead of a PVC 90 degree sweep?
- Do I have to have a disconnect on the outside of the home seeing that I have a disconnect at the meter.
- The location of the main panel is not insight of the home.
This electrical wiring question came from: Robert, from Coos Bay, Oregon.
Electrical Question #2:
- Can you run underground electrical over gas lines? The gas line is 18inches deep and the new electrical line is too. They will crossover each other.
This electrical wiring question came from Raoul in Caldwell, Idaho.
Thank you for your electrical wiring questions.
How to Install an Underground Electrical Service for a Home
Electrical Pull Box And a PVC 90 Degree Sweep to the Panel
- Robert, it sounds like you will have quite a pull from your primary electrical service to the home, so I can understand why you would like to put in the pull box before the sweep, and yes, this is allowed.
- At some locations I have installed pull boxes very close to the electrical panel where there is a long run of conduit, especially in locations where it will be must easier to pull from using a pull box rather than pulling into the panel.
Electrical Code about a Main Electrical Service Disconnect Switch
- The home will most likely be treated as a detached building, so yes the provision for a Main Disconnect will be required.
- ELECTRICAL CODE: A Main Breaker is required when there are more than 6 circuit breakers in the building panel, or when more than 6 circuits need to be turned off for all of the circuit power to be disconnected at the panel location.
- Install either a Main Breaker inside the panel, or a Disconnect Switch outside the building or inside nearest the point of entrance to the building.
- The panel board must be listed as suitable for use as Service Equipment.
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
Electric Circuit Listing
The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
Browse other questions about this topic:
Electrical Code NEC Panel Wiring electrical code, electrical panel, electrical question, house disconnect switch, main breaker, pvc conduit for panel, pvc electrical conduit, service disconnect, underground electric service, underground pull box
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.