Bathroom Light Switch Wiring Diagrams
Where do all the wires connect to a light switch? Electrical Wiring for a Bathroom Light Switch with Wiring Diagrams.
How to Wire a Bathroom Light Switch
Electrical Question #1: Where do all the wires connect to the light switch?
I’m replacing a light fixture in a bathroom.
- The bathroom also includes an exhaust fan, no light, two separate switches for light and exhaust fan. The connections from light to box are black to red wire, white to white wire, ground to green wire. There are also two cream wires coming out of box that I assume are for the fan. Do they connect to the hot wires red/black or to each other to complete the circuit?
This electrical question came from Trudy, a Homeowner from Vernon Hills, Illinois.
Electrical Question #2:
- I’m replacing a light switch in the bathroom. The switch it is next to but appears to be independent from the bathroom fan switch. It was originally rear-connected but I’m side connecting it instead. The ground appears to be a stripped loop in a wire that was looped around the top pole of the switch. What is the best way to reconnect the ground? I don’t think I can loop it with the wire on the top pole, and I’m not sure where it goes, so I just don’t want to cut it and move it to the grounding screw to connect it. My electrician dad died a couple of years ago and unfortunately I never inherited any of his skills. Any suggestions?
This electrical wiring question came from Curt in West Bend, Wisconsin
Thank you for your home electrical questions.
Electrical Wiring for a Bathroom Light Switch with Wiring Diagrams
- Trudy the cream color wires should be verified, however each function for a light or exhaust fan will require a hot, neutral and ground wire to be connected to a voltage source and through the wall switch.
- Once the power source has been verified then the connections should be clear.
The Following will assist you with your Bathroom Light Switch
Electrical Wiring Diagrams
- Home electrical wiring diagrams are an important tool for completing your electrical projects. An electrical wiring diagram can be as simple as a diagram showing how to install a new switch in your hallway, or as complex as the complete electrical blueprint for your new home or home improvement project.
Wiring Diagrams Directory
You identified your project to be about Light Switch Wiring,
so you might find this information useful:
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
Installing Your Bath Exhaust Fan
- Answers to all of your questions about installing a bath exhaust fan and your bathroom exhaust fan replacement project.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|« Installing an Underground Electrical Service and Pull Box||How to Install and Wire a Baseboard Heater »|