Installing an Outlet for a Wall Mount TV
How can I install an outlet for my new TV? How to add Wiring for a New Outlet, Adding an Outlet for a Wall Mounted TV.
Adding an Outlet for a TV
Electrical Question: How can I install an outlet for my new TV?
Can I install the wiring from an existing outlet to a new TV outlet?
- I just installed a wall mounted TV and now in the process of hiding the wires in the wall.
- I want to add a new power outlet in the wall behind the TV.
- There is an existing outlet on the same stud directly below the TV that I want to tap into.
- This outlet is apparently in the middle of a circuit as I see an incoming wire and outgoing wire connected to it.
- So, for me to get power from this outlet to my new outlet, can I just run a single Romex wire from this outlet to the new one? Or do I have to make the new one part of the circuit in series, by disconnecting the outgoing line from the existing outlet, run Romex to and from the new outlet, then connect the return wire from the new outlet to the previous outgoing line at the original outlet? I hope that made sense.
Thanks for any guidance!
This electrical question came from: Jim, a Homeowner from Yorktown, Virginia.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Jim.
How to add Wiring for a New TV Outlet
Application: Wiring a 120 Volt Outlet for a TV.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of outlets that will be added and the access to the location for the new outlets.
Precaution: Identify the existing outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional outlet wiring should be done through the local building authority, installed according to applicable local and national electrical codes, with a permit, and have the required inspections.
Adding an Outlet for a Wall Mounted TV
- Jim, only one cable is required to be installed from the existing outlet to the new outlet location.
- A pig-tail splice will need to be made at the existing outlet where all the black wires splice together and an additional black wire is added which will be wired to the outlet.
- The same pig-tail splice will be needed for the white wires, and the ground wires. Work on a circuit such as this should be done with the circuit power turned off.
More about Wiring a Wall Outlet
Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Electric Circuit Listing
The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about Outlet Wiring
How to Install Electrical Outlets
Wiring Electrical Outlets
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Wiring Electrical Outlets with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Browse other questions about this topic:
Electrical Wall Mounted TV Outlet add wall outlet, electrical wiring, installing tv outlet, outlet for tv, splicing outlet wires, tv outlet, wall mount tv outlet, wall outlet
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.