If Your Ceiling Fan Stopped Working Try This
I installed a remote controlled ceiling fan several years ago. It worked great until recently, now the light and the fan will not turn on: Common Problems with Ceiling Fans and Remote Controls.
Ceiling Fan and Remote Control Problems
Electrical Question: I installed a remote controlled ceiling fan several years ago. It worked great until recently, now the light and the fan will not turn on.
- I changed the light bulbs and still no light. I called hunter and they sent a new controller for ceiling fan.I installed that and light would still not work.
- I tried to troubleshoot the problem.I connected a simple light bulb with black and white wires to wires that control the fan. I could turn the light bulb on with the remote using the fan controls.
- I tried doing the same with the light wires and I wasn’t able to get the light to come on. So I thought the remote was bad.
- I got a replacement remote and I was able to get the fan wire to control the light, but still not able to get the light wires to work the light. Any more trouble shooting ideas?
- I just don’t understand how everything was working fine and then it stops working.
This electrical wiring question came from: Scott, from Alpharetta, Georgia.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Scott.
Ceiling Fan Control Problems and How to Fix Them
Application: Repairing a Ceiling Fan Problem.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the access to the ceiling fan.
Precaution: Identify the ceiling fan circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Common Problems with Ceiling Fans and Remote Controls
Before You Replace Your Ceiling Fan Consider the following:
- How a Ceiling Fan Remote Control Works
- Ceiling fan remote controls use frequencies to transmit signals which activate the ceiling fan motor and the ceiling fan light.
- Rarely, another electronic device may interfere with the ceiling fan frequencies which may prevent normal operations from occurring.
- NOTE: If two or more ceiling fans with remote controls are installed in the same home or area the remote controls may operate one or more of the ceiling fans. In a large area such as a store or warehouse this may be very convenient, however in a home with ceiling fans in different rooms this may be undesirable.
- Adjusting the Remote Control Frequency
- To prevent problems associated with the remote control frequency many hand held and wall mounted remote control units have a small unit of DIP switches which may be adjusted to a different frequency.
- IMPORTANT: Both the remote control transmitter and the receiver unit in the ceiling fan must have the same frequency settings.
- See the links below to go to the Ceiling Fan area for detailed photos and instructions.
- Other Conditions that May Prevent a Ceiling Fan from Working
- The pull chain switches are in the wrong setting.
- The light bulbs in the fixture are burnt out.
- The battery in the remote control needs replacing.
- The remote control module needs replacing.
More about Wiring Ceiling Fans and Remote Controls
Wiring Ceiling Fans
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring Problems
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
Types of Electrical Testers
|« How To Install a Floor Outlet||How to Wire Multiple Circuits in a Junction Box »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
See more about Electrical Wiring in Your Local Area