How to Wire Multiple Circuits in a Junction Box
Can more than one circuit be run through a single junction box? Junction Box Wiring and Multiple Circuits.
Junction Box Wiring
Electrical Question: Can more than one circuit be run through a single junction box?
- I have a ceiling fan all wired correctly.
- Assuming the junction box has the proper capacity, I want to run a separate circuit through that box so as to split-off a circuit which will then go two different ways to power up an outlet on one wall and two other outlets on a different wall.
Thanks for your advise.
This electrical wiring question came from Larry, in Nokomis, Florida.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Larry.
Wiring Multiple Circuits
Application: Electrical Circuit Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor or Certified Electrician.
Tools Required: Electricians Pouch of Hand Tools for Rough-In Wiring, Electric Drill and Auger Bits and Extension Cord.
Estimated Time: Depends on the extent of the project, the type of construction and available access to the project area.
Precaution: Any existing wiring in the immediate area that may interfere with the installation should be identified and turned OFF and Tagged.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Junction Box Wiring and Multiple Circuits
- As stated in this question, if the junction box has the required cubic inches for the wiring that will be installed then yes, it is acceptable to have more than one circuit in the same electrical box or junction box.
- You may notice that most junction boxes have stamped into the box the number of wires that are allowed for the most commonly installed wire gauges of home electrical wiring.
- Since you are installing a ceiling fan, be sure the box has the allowed weight rating, and is approved for ceiling fans.
More about Junction Boxes and Electrical Wiring
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance. One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
Electrical Code Articles for Home Wiring
Electrical Code Directory covering electrical circuit wiring methods and electrical boxes.
Electrical Circuit Wiring
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Junction Box and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|If Your Ceiling Fan Stopped Working Try This||How to Install Underground Electrical Cable for a RV Motor Home|