» Home » Electrical Wiring Projects
How to Use Switched Outlet Wiring for a New Ceiling Fan
How can I wire an outlet and ceiling fan so it is controlled by the switch?
Light Switch Wiring
[ad#block]Question: I want to wire the fan so it is controlled by the switch.
- I’m installing a ceiling fan.
- The switch in the bedroom controls an outlet.
- I want to wire the fan so it is controlled by the switch.
- I also want the outlet to be constant hot but not controlled by the switch.
Received from Jim a Homeowner in Mentor. Ohio.
Thanks for your electrical question.
Wiring a Switch that Controls an Outlet
- This can be done but the wiring configuration must be identified and verified. Be aware that there may be more than one switched outlet in the room that will be affected. Basically this is a process of changing the wiring configuration at the outlet that is controlled by the switch.
- The wire returning from the switch will need to become a neutral wire and the power wire will need to take its place on the outlet to make that portion of the outlet is powered all the time. This will provide both power and neutral at the switch box which is required for the ceiling fan. A new cable will need to be installed from the wall switch up to the ceiling fan location.
- This wire can be a 3-wire type cable that could provide separate switching for the fan and the light. A double switch may be purchased which will install in the same size box and provide variable speed control for the fan and a dimmer control for the light.
- An approved Ceiling Fan box must be installed and well supported.
Additional wiring must match the existing wire gauge and type.
More about Electrical Wiring
Follow this link for complete details and Wiring Diagrams for Installing Ceiling Fans
The Following links will assist you with your electrical question:
For more information about Light Switch Wiring
Light Switch Wiring
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
Make sure not to miss these Resources for: How-To-Videos
Be Careful and Be Safe – Never Work on Energized Circuits!
For Best Results Consult a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Locate An Electrical Contractor in Your Area
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Ceiling Fans, Electrical and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Lights Dim Out Very Often – Help!||What is the Rated Ampacity of Copper AWG 4-3 Romex?|