How To Switch A Ceiling Fan Light Apart From The Fan
Here are some Electrical Wiring Options for the Ceiling Fan Light Fixture that will allow you to control the Light Fixture separately from the Ceiling Fan Motor.
Electrical Wiring Options for the Ceiling Fan Light Fixture
Electrical Question: I have an existing 3 way wall switch for two lights; power in switch.
- I want to use a ceiling fan light (only, not fan) in the existing circuit so the fan light is on-off by the wall switch (ignoring wire lenght here).
- The 9 yr old Hunter ceiling fan only has 3 wires; two blacks and one white common.
- It then has a connection from the fan to the light assembly no blue wire at the top of fan housing.
- My plan is to operate the fan by remote and the fan light by the wall switches.
- At the fan- bring new power source up to fan black wire.
- At the fan light use existing power source to existing light and share the common wire for fan and light?
Background: Dan, a Homeowner from Petaloma, CA
Dave’s Reply: Thanks for your electrical question Dan.
How to Control the Light Fixture Separately from the Ceiling Fan Motor
- As long as one of the Black Wires of the Hunter Fan does in fact make a connection to the Blue / Light Assembly then Yes, what you have described should work just fine because you are providing unswitched power from the existing wall switch and connecting the newly installed cable to the ceiling fan directly for the pull chain operation of the ceiling fan and sharing the neutral is the same as original, actually one neutrals will be redundant, you may want to just cap off the neutral from the new power feed that you install for the fan hot.
This method of wiring may be transposed to other brands of ceiling fan as well and is not limited to the Hunter Ceiling Fan.
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
For Best Results Consult a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Locate An Electrical Contractor in Your Area
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Ceiling Fans, Wiring With Fixtures and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How To Fix 4-Way Switch Wiring||Am I Qualified to Install my Electrical Wiring Project?|