How to Repair a Garbage Disposal
My garbage disposal is not working, what should I do? Key Items to Check to Repair a Garbage Disposal that Does Not Work.
Garbage Disposal Not Working
[ad#block]Electrical Repair Question: My garbage disposal is not working, what should I do?
- My garbage disposal is wired to my outlet and both are not working.
- I tried flipping all the breakers, and the disposal is not clogged.
- What else should I try or do?
This electrical question came from: April, a Homeowner from Titusville, Florida.
See more about Home Wiring for Florida
Thanks for your electrical question April
Key Items to Check to Repair a Garbage Disposal
- Make sure the garbage disposal is not jammed. Most garbage disposals come with a small wrench that can be inserted at the exterior base to allow you to rotate the internal moving parts to free jammed objects.
- Check the cord to make sure it is not damaged. Make sure the disposal cord is plugged into the correct receptacle outlet.
- Test or replace the wall switch. Faulty switches are the number one electrical component that fails for garbage disposals.
- If the circuit wiring for the garbage disposal is 20 amps then make sure to replace the switch with a 20 amp rated switch.
- Faulty outlet or electrical wiring connections. Inspect the receptacle outlet and wiring connections that the garbage disposal is plugged into. Repair damaged wiring and replace the receptacle outlet as required.
When servicing the garbage disposal make sure the circuit power has been identified and has been shut OFF.
- For the best results contact a Licensed Electrical Contractor in your area for Fast Dependable Service.
More about Electrical Wiring and Disposals
Garbage Disposal and Dishwasher Wiring
Fully explained dishwasher disposal wiring diagrams with pictures for wiring the outlet that serves a dishwasher and a garbage disposal. One very important element can be easily overlooked as you will see in these pictures.
For more information about Outlet Wiring
How to Install Electrical Outlets
Wiring Electrical Outlets
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Wiring Electrical Outlets with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Repair and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Ceiling Fan Light Not Working||Wiring a Time Switch for a Bath Exhaust Fan|