How to Remove a Light Fixture and add a Ceiling Fan
Electrical Wiring for a Ceiling Fan: You may want to consider installing a remote control unit, which would prevent having to add any additional wiring, but still provide separate control capabilities.
Adding Electrical Wiring for a Ceiling Fan
Electrical Question: I have a ceiling fan and light combination. I originally only had a light.
- Can I run a separate wire for my light in the same conduit as the wire for my fan without replacing the original three wire (hot, neutral, ground) to a four wire combination?
This electrical wiring question came from: Ken, a Homeowner from El Dorado Hills, CA
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Ken.
Electrical Wiring for a Ceiling Fan
- Yes, an additional wire may be fished into the exiting conduit, or you may use one of the existing wires to pull in two new wires, one as a replacement, and the new wire as described.
- Be sure to turn the circuit off before pulling wires into the conduit.
- You may want to consider installing a remote control unit, which would prevent having to add any additional wiring, but still provide separate control capabilities.
- Be aware that the original light fixture box may not have been approved for a ceiling fan, therefore one may be required.
More about Wiring a Ceiling Fan
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Correct Low Voltage Conditions||Changing a Hot Tub Electrical Circuit|