How to Make Ceiling Fan Wire Connections
Wire Colors and Electrical Connections for Wiring of a Ceiling Fan
Wiring Connections to a Ceiling Fan
Electrical Wiring: I need help knowing how to wire my ceiling fan.
- My fan box has a white wire, a black wire, and a bare copper wire.
- My ceiling fan has Ground wire, black wire and a white wire.
- How do I hook up the wiring?
This electrical question came from: John, a Homeowner from Boise, Idaho.
See more about Home Wiring for Idaho
Thanks for your electrical question John.
Wire Colors and Connections for Wiring a Ceiling Fan
- John, the ceiling fan is typically straight forward making the wiring connection color to color or as follows:
- black wire to black wire.
- white wire to white wire.
- bare copper wire to green ground wire.
- If there is a light kit being used then the blue wire is connected depending on the incoming wiring, however in your situation the blue fixture wire would get attached to the black wire, then being controlled by either the wall switch or the pull chain switch on the ceiling fan.
The Following will assist you with your electrical question:
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
- Ceiling Fan Wiring
- Ceiling Fan Wiring diagram #1
- Ceiling Fan Wiring diagram #2
- Ceiling Fan Installation #1
- Ceiling Fan Installation #2
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Correct Electrical Wire Size for Ceiling Fans and Lights||Wiring for a Hot Tub and GFI »|