How to Improve Ceiling Fan Lighting
How can I make a Ceiling Fan Light Brighter? How to Make Your Ceiling Fan Light Fixture Shine Brighter, LED Light Bulbs and Additional Lighting, Ceiling Fan Light Kit Options.© By: Dave Rongey
Improving Ceiling Fan Lighting Levels
[ad#block]Electrical Question: How can I make a Ceiling Fan Light Brighter?
- The light from our Ceiling Fan is too dim for our son’s bedroom.
- The Ceiling Fan has an airplane design and the light bulb is not very large.
- I wanted to know if it is possible to replace the ceiling fan light socket so that it will allow for a brighter bulb.
This electrical wiring question came from: Ari, a Handyman from Bethesda, Maryland.
Thanks for your home electrical question Ari.
How to Make Your Ceiling Fan Light Fixture Shine Brighter
Application: Changing a Ceiling Fan Light Bulb.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the light fixture(s).
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Changing or modifying the original fixture design may void the UL approval and affect the warranty of the light fixture. Changes in light bulb type must not produce more heat which could damage light fixture components or the area of the light fixture installation.
LED Light Bulbs and Additional Lighting
- The amount of light from this ceiling fan is really not enough to light up a whole bedroom, and unfortunately I think your stuck with that amount of light due to the small area for the light bulb.
- However, you may consider installing an LED bulb with the same socket base as the existing bulb. Most LED bulbs produce more light than a traditional incandescent light bulb.
- At the installation for this airplane ceiling fan the perimeter of the room had a soffit where we installed several recessed lights for additional lighting which worked out very well.
Ceiling Fan Light Kit Options
- To improve the lighting of most ceiling fans all you have to do is purchase a new light kit that will be compatible with your existing ceiling fan and finish style.
- If your ceiling fan does not have a light kit, typically you can add one by removing the bottom cover plate to access a blue and white wire that is reserved for the light kit option.
More about Ceiling Fans
Ceiling Fan Wiring
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
More about Home Lighting
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
More articles about Ceiling Fans, Light Fixture and Home Electrical Wiring:
|« Previous||Next »|