How to Improve Ceiling Fan Lighting
How can I make a Ceiling Fan Light Brighter? How to Make Your Ceiling Fan Light Fixture Shine Brighter, LED Light Bulbs and Additional Lighting, Ceiling Fan Light Kit Options.
Improving Ceiling Fan Lighting Levels
Electrical Question: How can I make a Ceiling Fan Light Brighter?
- The light from our Ceiling Fan is too dim for our son’s bedroom.
- The Ceiling Fan has an airplane design and the light bulb is not very large.
- I wanted to know if it is possible to replace the ceiling fan light socket so that it will allow for a brighter bulb.
This electrical wiring question came from: Ari, a Handyman from Bethesda, Maryland.
Thanks for your home electrical question Ari.
How to Make Your Ceiling Fan Light Fixture Shine Brighter
Application: Changing a Ceiling Fan Light Bulb.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the light fixture(s).
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Changing or modifying the original fixture design may void the UL approval and affect the warranty of the light fixture. Changes in light bulb type must not produce more heat which could damage light fixture components or the area of the light fixture installation.
LED Light Bulbs and Additional Lighting
- The amount of light from this ceiling fan is really not enough to light up a whole bedroom, and unfortunately I think your stuck with that amount of light due to the small area for the light bulb.
- However, you may consider installing an LED bulb with the same socket base as the existing bulb. Most LED bulbs produce more light than a traditional incandescent light bulb.
- At the installation for this airplane ceiling fan the perimeter of the room had a soffit where we installed several recessed lights for additional lighting which worked out very well.
Ceiling Fan Light Kit Options
- To improve the lighting of most ceiling fans all you have to do is purchase a new light kit that will be compatible with your existing ceiling fan and finish style.
- If your ceiling fan does not have a light kit, typically you can add one by removing the bottom cover plate to access a blue and white wire that is reserved for the light kit option.
More about Ceiling Fans
Ceiling Fan Wiring
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
More about Home Lighting
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Ceiling Fans, Light Fixture and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Install Generator Power for Your Home||How to Install and Wire a Bathroom Exhaust Fan with Light and Heater|