How To Extract A Broken Light Bulb From A Socket
How to Fix a Broken Light Bulb Problem: When replacing a light bulb it was twisting in the light socket then when I turned the light back on the bulb popped and flashed then the power went out.
A Damaged Light Bulb Can Cause An Electrical Short Circuit
[ad#block]Electrical Question: When replacing a light bulb it was twisting in the light socket then when I turned the light back on the bulb popped and flashed then the power went out.
- When replacing a bedroom ceiling fan light bulb the bulb was not coming out but was just twisting in the light socket.
- I turned the light back on the bulb popped and flashed then the power went out in all outlets upstairs.
- I turned the circuit breaker on and off but this did not help to get power back to that part of the house.
- What do you think happened, how bad is it?
This electrical repair question came from: Barry, a Homeowner from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Thanks for your electrical repair question Barry.
How to Fix a Broken Light Bulb Problem
- Barry, what happened was the socket base of the light bulb separated from the glass bulb and the wires that are attached to the socket base have no doubt twisted together and has created a direct short which is causing the circuit to trip off.
- The solution is to remove the base of the light bulb from the light socket.
- This must be done with the circuit power off and you may need to use a small screw driver and a needle nose pliers to carefully extract the light base out of the socket.
- Once this is done you can install the replacement light bulb and turn the circuit back on.
- I have heard of using a potato to extract a broken light bulb, but that could get rather tricky and messy but may work well if the glass has broken. In any case be sure to protect your hands by wearing a good pair of work gloves.
More about Lighting and Light Bulbs
- Home Electrical Safety Articles
Electrical Safety Articles covering several topics of home electrical safety and Do-It-Yourself Electrical Safety.
Installing Home Lighting Fixtures
- Home lighting articles covering recessed lighting, under cabinet lighting, lighting terminology and more.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Repair, Light Socket and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Kitchen Stove Not Working After Kitchen Installation||Ceiling Fan Wiring for Remote Control|