How to Connect the Wires of a Ceiling Fan
I bought a new ceiling fan and can not figure out the wiring. How do I wire it? Connecting the Wires for a Ceiling Fan Made Easy.
Wiring a Ceiling Fan
Electrical Question: I bought a new ceiling fan and can not figure out the wiring. How do I wire it?
My ceiling fan and light quit all of a sudden. I looked at wiring and couldn’t see anything wrong. I guessed the fan was bad so I bought a new one and took the old one down. Went to install the new one but could not figure out the wiring.
- Coming out of the ceiling box I had 1 black wire, 1 bare ground wire. I had 2 white wires connected.
- Finally I had 2 black and 1 white wire all connected.
- The 2 black and white had a strip of tape wrapped around the ends with something written on the strips.
- I am guessing these had something to do with the wall switch that turned everything on.
- In my installation instructions for the fan it says to connect the black and black n white striped wires to the black from the ceiling.
- Then it says to connect the bare ground wire from the ceiling to the green fan wire.
- Next it says to connect the white wire from the fan to the white wire in the ceiling.
- This is the problem which white wire?
- Do I separate the 2 white wires that are already wire nutted or what?
This electrical wiring question came from Dan.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Dan.
Connecting the Wires for a Ceiling Fan
Wiring connections for a ceiling fan may seem overwhelming when wiring to a wall switch for the fan motor and the light fixture, but this should help you out.
- White wires found in the ceiling junction box are sometimes used for switching when a wall switch is used. Typically these white wires are identified with black tape or a black marker.
- The extra white wires are best identified using a voltage tester, and it would be helpful to examine the wires that are attached to the wall switch and compare this to the wires found in the ceiling junction box.
- If the ceiling fan has two white wires and the ceiling junction box wiring only has one white wire then typically the two white wires of the ceiling fan connect to the single white wire found in the ceiling junction box.
More about How to Wire Ceiling Fans
Install and Wire Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
- Ceiling Fan Wiring
- Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagram #1
- Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagram #2
- Ceiling Fan Installation #1
- Ceiling Fan Installation #2
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Testers to Help Solve Electrical Problems
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« How to Upgrade an Electrical Panel and Install a Home Generator||Why The Oven Makes The House Power Go Back On »|