How To Add A Ceiling Fan With Existing Light Fixtures
Scott in Illinois asks; I want the fan to work just by a pull-chain but continue to have the switch operate the remaining can lights, how can I wire this? How to Wire a Ceiling Fan with Existing Light Fixtures.
Installing a Ceiling Fan and Light Fixtures
Electrical Question: I want the fan to work just by a pull-chain but continue to have the switch operate the remaining can lights.
I have a front porch that has 3 Can lights in the ceiling which are operated by a switch at the front door and a service door.
- What I want to do and not sure how to go about it is to remove one of the can lights and replace it with just a ceiling fan.
- Now I want the fan to work just by a pull-chain but continue to have the switch operate the remaining can lights.
- Is that possible and what are the best steps?
Additional Comments: The site is excellent and has been a huge help on many occasions.
Background: Scott, a Handyman from Crete, Illinois.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Scott.
Installing a Ceiling Fan with Existing Light Fixtures
- There are a few ways to accomplish this task, and the starting place is to identify the location of the hot and neutral power source.
- The objective is to get the power from Point A – The Power Source to Point B – The Desired Location for the Ceiling Fan.
- In this case the power will either be at one of the fixtures or at the switch. If the power source is at a fixture then a cable could be installed to extend the power source to the desired location of the ceiling fan. If the power source is the switch box, then you have the option to do the same, extend the power to the desired location.
- If either option is not possible then you can install Programmable Home Automation devices, which would require a Receiver Module at each light fixture and a Switch Module, all being addressed accordingly.
- With this setup the power will be available as hot all the time to the ceiling fan location, which would enable you to operate it independently from the other light fixtures.
- The last option is to obtain an altogether separate power source and extend it to the desired location for the ceiling fan.
More about Ceiling Fan Wiring
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
Ceiling Fan Wiring
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Wiring With Fixtures and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Basic Ceiling Fan Remote Control Problems||Installing and Testing Dusk to Dawn Light Fixtures|