How To Add A Ceiling Fan With Existing Light Fixtures
I want the fan to work just by a pull-chain but continue to have the switch operate the remaining can lights, how can I wire this? How to Wire a Ceiling Fan with Existing Light Fixtures.
Installing a Ceiling Fan and Light Fixtures
Electrical Question: I want the fan to work just by a pull-chain but continue to have the switch operate the remaining can lights.
I have a front porch that has 3 Can lights in the ceiling which are operated by a switch at the front door and a service door.
- What I want to do and not sure how to go about it is to remove one of the can lights and replace it with just a ceiling fan.
- Now I want the fan to work just by a pull-chain but continue to have the switch operate the remaining can lights.
- Is that possible and what are the best steps?
Additional Comments: The site is excellent and has been a huge help on many occasions.
Background: Scott, a Handyman from Crete, Illinois.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Scott.
Installing a Ceiling Fan with Existing Light Fixtures
- There are a few ways to accomplish this task, and the starting place is to identify the location of the hot and neutral power source.
- The objective is to get the power from Point A – The Power Source to Point B – The Desired Location for the Ceiling Fan.
- In this case the power will either be at one of the fixtures or at the switch. If the power source is at a fixture then a cable could be installed to extend the power source to the desired location of the ceiling fan. If the power source is the switch box, then you have the option to do the same, extend the power to the desired location.
- If either option is not possible then you can install Programmable Home Automation devices, which would require a Receiver Module at each light fixture and a Switch Module, all being addressed accordingly.
- With this setup the power will be available as hot all the time to the ceiling fan location, which would enable you to operate it independently from the other light fixtures.
- The last option is to obtain an altogether separate power source and extend it to the desired location for the ceiling fan.
More about Ceiling Fan Wiring
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
Ceiling Fan Wiring
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|« Basic Ceiling Fan Remote Control Problems||Installing and Testing Dusk to Dawn Light Fixtures »|