Installing and Testing Dusk to Dawn Light Fixtures
How to Install the Electrical Wiring for a Dawn Outdoor Light Fixture.
Wiring and Testing Dusk to Dawn Outdoor Light Fixtures
- The bulb is new, and a new switch. I have 120 volts in the bulb socket, but the light will not light up.
- Could it be transformer not putting out enough power to light bulb, or what?
This electrical wiring question came from: Garry, a Handyman from Grants Pass, Oregon.
See more about Home Wiring for Oregon
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Garry.
How to Install the Electrical Wiring for a Dawn Outdoor Light Fixture
Application: Install Dusk to Dawn Light Fixture.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best Installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor or Certified Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Tool Pouch of Electrical Tools, and Voltage Tester, Fiberglass Ladder.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience working with electrical wiring, the number of lights that will be replaced or installed and access to the light fixtures.
Precaution: Identify the lighting circuit or power source, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the electrical wiring and light fixture connections.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring for outdoor lighting should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Installing Dusk to Dawn Fixtures
Installing dusk to dawn light fixtures can be pretty straight forward, but every once and a while there may be a problem. Lets take a look at a list of check you can make to help get your dusk to dawn light fixture installed and working:
- Make sure all wiring connections are well make and the wire connection is on firmly. The smaller light fixture wires can easily slip out of the wire connector and prevent connection.
- Testing for voltage using an audible tester is fine, but remember that it will not indicate that the neutral connection is working.
Dusk to Dawn Fixture Switch Settings for Accuracy
- Switch settings for Testing can not only be hard to read, but confusing as well. Make sure that the light fixture is not left in the Test mode or switch position.
- The test mode allows testing in the daytime after the light fixture has been installed. This is a really handy feature especially for positioning the motion detector head.
- Light bulbs must match the specifications of the light fixture otherwise damage may result to the internal circuitry of the light fixture. The size and watts of the lamps is important, and also the type of lamp. Some CFL lamps should not be used with some brands of dusk to dawn light fixtures.
- If all of the above checks prove ok and the light fixture still does not work, then you may have a defective light fixture. Contact the store where you purchased your disk to dawn light fixture and request an exchange.
More about Security Lights and Dusk to Dawn Light Fixtures
Installing Motion Detector and Security Light Fixtures
Installing motion detector lighting fixtures provide security and energy savings and they can easily replace an existing exterior wall fixture.
More about Wiring Light Switches:
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
For more information about Troubleshooting
Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
This link is helpful as a Handyman
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Dusk to Dawn Fixtures
Or Ask Dave a Question