Home Generator Transfer Switch Options
Is a manual transfer switch a good choice for my generator? Selecting a Transfer Switch for a Home Generator.
Generator Transfer Switch
Electrical Question: Is a manual transfer switch a good choice for my generator?.
Usually mild winter here in rural VA turned brutal recently, so I decided I need generator and manual transfer switch.
- To avoid any insurance problems, inspection problems, etc. my intention has always been to hire a licensed certified electrician.
- I Recently saw that our electric company offers manual transfer switch install by one of their master electricians. Their installs are outside at the incoming electric meter.
I Like this type of Transfer Switch Installation for Multiple Reasons
- Supposedly no need to cut more holes and add another panel and my breaker box is in the finished part of my house, once the generator is connected to the house and turned on, it said that creates an automatic disconnect from their lines.
- No need to select specific circuits, all will be available to me (I understand the concept that some of them I’ll never be able to use because that is based on size of generator and what load it can handle)
- Are there any negatives to this type install.
- I never see it mentioned as an option when manual transfer switches are discussed?
Additional Comments: No real professional advice needed here since I will be hiring a licensed professional to do the job but wondering if the type install I am considering has any pitfalls I might later encounter or regret.
Background: Cheryl, a Homeowner from Virginia.
Thanks for your electrical question Cheryl.
Selecting a Generator Transfer Switch
Application: Installing a Generator and Transfer Switch.
Skill Level: Advanced – Not Recommended for Homeowners, Best installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor
Tools Required: Electricians pouch of hand tools and the various power tools necessary for installing the generator and transfer switch.
Estimated Time: Depends on the type and size of the generator and transfer switch and the available access to the project area. Additional electrical violations or corrections will need to be completed.
Precaution: Any existing electrical wiring within the immediate area that may interfere with the installation of the transfer switch may need to be relocated if necessary. The selection of the transfer switch or generator connection or generator circuit panel will affect the over all project.
Important: Installing a generator, transfer switch or generator panel must be well thought out and performed with a permit with all work being inspected.
Generator Transfer Switch Options
- Cheryl, this type of generator transfer switch is a great option especially if the generator size is fully capable of powering all of your essential home electrical circuits.
For more information about Generators
- This series covers a wide variety of topics all about home generators including
- and safely operating this all important power source to your home.
The Following will assist you with your Generator Project
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Generators, Transfer Switch, Transfer Switch and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Bathroom Remodeling and Electrical Wiring||How to Solve the Problem of Tripping Circuit Breakers|