Helping The Handyman with Four Way Switches
How to Wire 4-Way Light Switches: Wiring Diagrams for 3Way and 4Way Switches
Wiring Four Way Switches
Electrical Question: I am struggling with the wiring for a single light that has four light switches.
- I can’t seem to get the circuit wiring connected right
- The first three switches work but I can’t get the fourth switch to work.
- Can you help me out with the wiring?
- Some 4 way switch wiring diagrams would be very helpful.
Background: Jeremy, a Handyman from Belleville, PA.
Thanks for your Electrical Wiring question Jeremy.
Jeremy, I have provided the following links that lead to fully detailed information on this website that will assist you with your electrical question.
Wiring Diagrams for 4Way Switches
Application: 4-Way Light Switches.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the lighting circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional 3-way or 4-way switch wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
How to Wire 4-Way Light Switches
4-Way Switch Wiring Diagrams
- Note about 4way Switch Diagrams:
- To illustrate the 4 way switch wiring, Switch boxes and Fixture boxes are not shown but are obviously required for every application.
- These diagrams are shown as using the Type NM cable wiring method.
- The Type NM cables contain a ground conductor which is required for all applications as well.
- The ground conductors are always bonded together to insure the integrity of the ground path.
- If you are using metal boxes, the ground conductor must be attached to each box by using a threaded ground screw or provided attachment.
- The frames of the switches which have a ground screw are to be attached to the ground conductor as required.
You identified your project to be about 4 Way Switch Wiring, so you might find this information useful:
4 Way Switch Wiring
- 4 Way Switch Wiring
- Fully explained 4 way switch diagrams. 4-way switches are a convenient way to operate lighting fixtures from three or more locations.
- The electrical wiring adds additional wiring to the same principles of 3-way switching.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Tripped Circuit Breaker and Lost Power to Outlets||How to Convert AC Power for a DC Inverter »|