Adding a Light to an Older Ceiling Fan
How to Install a Light Kit onto a Ceiling Fan: How to Make the Electrical Wiring Connections for a Ceiling Fan and Light Fixture.
Wiring an Older Ceiling Fan Light Fixture
Electrical Question: I am trying to install a light kit for a 25-30 year old ceiling fan.
- I purchased the kit and it has the white and black wires coming from it. Inside the box for the ceiling fan there is a white wire that says neutral and a yellow wire that says “wire for light.”
- Additionally, there is a group of wires (3 or 4 in all, one white with black stripe, one blue with white stripe and the other blue) that are all crimped together.
- I gather I hook the white wire from the light kit to the yellow wire, but where do I hook the black wire? I tried hooking it to the neutral and that didn’t work.
- And I tried hooking to the group of wires that are crimped together and that didn’t work.
This electrical question came from: Chris, a Homeowner from Charlottesville, Virginia.
Thanks for your electrical question Chris.
How to Install a Light Kit onto a Ceiling Fan
Application: Installing a Ceiling Fan Light Kit.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the ceiling fan.
Precaution: Identify the ceiling fan circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
How to Make the Electrical Wiring Connections for Older Ceiling Fans and Lights
- Typical wiring for light kits that are added to ceiling fans will share the white neutral wire with the fan unless otherwise labeled.
- The wiring for your light kit appears to be the light fixture black wire connects to the yellow that states that it is the wire for the light.
- On most conventional ceiling fans there is a blue wire that is reserved for the light fixture or light kit.
More about Wiring Ceiling Fans and a Ceiling Fan Light
How to Install Ceiling Fans
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring.
- Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
- Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« How to Repair a Ceiling Fan||Tripped Circuit Breaker and Lost Power to Outlets »|