Adding a Light to an Older Ceiling Fan
How to Install a Light Kit onto a Ceiling Fan: How to Make the Electrical Wiring Connections for a Ceiling Fan and Light Fixture.
Wiring an Older Ceiling Fan Light Fixture
Electrical Question: I am trying to install a light kit for a 25-30 year old ceiling fan.
- I purchased the kit and it has the white and black wires coming from it. Inside the box for the ceiling fan there is a white wire that says neutral and a yellow wire that says “wire for light.”
- Additionally, there is a group of wires (3 or 4 in all, one white with black stripe, one blue with white stripe and the other blue) that are all crimped together.
- I gather I hook the white wire from the light kit to the yellow wire, but where do I hook the black wire? I tried hooking it to the neutral and that didn’t work.
- And I tried hooking to the group of wires that are crimped together and that didn’t work.
This electrical question came from: Chris, a Homeowner from Charlottesville, Virginia.
Thanks for your electrical question Chris.
How to Install a Light Kit onto a Ceiling Fan
Application: Installing a Ceiling Fan Light Kit.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the ceiling fan.
Precaution: Identify the ceiling fan circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
How to Make the Electrical Wiring Connections for Older Ceiling Fans and Lights
- Typical wiring for light kits that are added to ceiling fans will share the white neutral wire with the fan unless otherwise labeled.
- The wiring for your light kit appears to be the light fixture black wire connects to the yellow that states that it is the wire for the light.
- On most conventional ceiling fans there is a blue wire that is reserved for the light fixture or light kit.
More about Wiring Ceiling Fans and a Ceiling Fan Light
How to Install Ceiling Fans
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring.
- Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
- Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Light Fixture and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Repair a Ceiling Fan||Helping The Handyman with Four Way Switches|