Adding a Light to an Older Ceiling Fan
How to Install a Light Kit onto a Ceiling Fan: How to Make the Electrical Wiring Connections for a Ceiling Fan and Light Fixture.
Wiring an Older Ceiling Fan Light Fixture
Electrical Question: I am trying to install a light kit for a 25-30 year old ceiling fan.
- I purchased the kit and it has the white and black wires coming from it. Inside the box for the ceiling fan there is a white wire that says neutral and a yellow wire that says “wire for light.”
- Additionally, there is a group of wires (3 or 4 in all, one white with black stripe, one blue with white stripe and the other blue) that are all crimped together.
- I gather I hook the white wire from the light kit to the yellow wire, but where do I hook the black wire? I tried hooking it to the neutral and that didn’t work.
- And I tried hooking to the group of wires that are crimped together and that didn’t work.
This electrical question came from: Chris, a Homeowner from Charlottesville, Virginia.
Thanks for your electrical question Chris.
How to Install a Light Kit onto a Ceiling Fan
Application: Installing a Ceiling Fan Light Kit.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the ceiling fan.
Precaution: Identify the ceiling fan circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
How to Make the Electrical Wiring Connections for Older Ceiling Fans and Lights
- Typical wiring for light kits that are added to ceiling fans will share the white neutral wire with the fan unless otherwise labeled.
- The wiring for your light kit appears to be the light fixture black wire connects to the yellow that states that it is the wire for the light.
- On most conventional ceiling fans there is a blue wire that is reserved for the light fixture or light kit.
More about Wiring Ceiling Fans and a Ceiling Fan Light
How to Install Ceiling Fans
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring.
- Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
- Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Light Fixture and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Repair a Ceiling Fan||Helping The Handyman with Four Way Switches|