Generator and Transfer Switch Sizing
Can I plug a 15000 watt portable generator to a 12500 watt transfer switch with out causing an damage? How to Size a Generator Transfer Switch and Electrical Wiring.
Generator and Transfer Switch Installation
Electrical Question: Can I plug a 15000 watt portable generator to a 12500 watt transfer switch with out causing an damage?
This electrical wiring question came from: David, a Homeowner from Coucil Grove, Kansas.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question David.
How to Size a Generator Transfer Switch and Electrical Wiring
Application: Installing a Generator.
Skill Level: Advanced – Licensed Electrical Contractor, Not Recommended for Homeowners.
Tools Required: Electricians pouch of hand tools and the various power tools necessary for installing the generator and transfer switch.
Estimated Time: Depends on the type and size of the generator and transfer switch and the available access to the project area.
Precaution: Any existing electrical wiring within the immediate area that may interfere with the installation of the transfer switch may need to be relocated if necessary.
Note: If your home has sustained damaged from a storm then be sure that home repair work has been authorized and coordinated through your local or state building authority and possibly FEMA. Also be sure to contact your homeowners insurance provider for specific information relating to the home repairs and living arrangements. Detailed photos should be taken of the damage to the home, contents and personal belongings.
Important: Installing a generator and transfer switch must be well thought out and performed with a permit with all work being inspected.
Planning for a Safe Generator and Transfer Switch Installation
- The generator and transfer switch should have the same ratings.
- In most cases the transfer switch is rated higher than the generator, especially if the generator is portable.
- A full understanding of all the electrical loads that will be placed on the generator is required for a safe installation.
- The installation must be installed by a permit and inspected by a local building department official.
The Following will assist you with your Electrical Question
- Home Generators
- This series covers a wide variety of topics all about home generators including sizing, selecting, connecting and safely operating this all important addition to your home.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Transfer Switch and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Why Your Microwave Oven Lost Power||Planning Electrical Circuit Wiring|