» Home » Electrical Wiring Projects
» Residential Electrical Wiring: Dave's Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Planning Electrical Circuit Wiring
How to Plan Electrical Circuit Wiring – In a case like this, the first thing I would do is take a voltage check on the cable that you spliced into to see if it does in fact have the power that is needed for the project.
Understanding Electrical Circuit Wiring
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I have spliced my current old 2 wire cable and connected a 3 wire cable as the extension.
- I also grounded the wire.
- When I finally connected the light intended for the splice it did not work until I turned the light switch off.
- After that the extra lights lit up dimly and the overhead light stayed on but dimmer.
- What did I do wrong?
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Christopher.
Background: Christopher, a Homeowner from Mansfield Ohio
Splicing Electrical Wires
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
How to Plan Electrical Circuit Wiring
- Christopher, it sounds like the cable that you spliced into did not have a hot and a neutral, in fact it sounds like you spliced into a cable that is being used for switching one of the other lights, or you just do not have the wire connections made up properly.
- In a case like this, the first thing I would do is take a voltage check on the cable that you spliced into to see if it does in fact have the power that is needed for the project.
Electrical Tip When Planning an Electrical Circuit Connection
- Understand what the voltage and amperage is required for the proposed project, then identify a circuit cable that has the available voltage and amperage power that is required.
The Following will assist you with your Electrical Circuit:
Electrical Junction Box Splice
Electrical junction box splices can be made safely when you understand the method. This example will show you how its done step by step and shows how to make a junction box splice and the related electrical codes.
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about Home Wiring
- Home Wiring
- Basic Home Wiring Diagrams with Pictures
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Circuit Requirements, Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Generator and Transfer Switch Sizing||Wiring a Light Fixture to a 4-Way Switch|