Electrical Conduit Types for Underground Projects
What type of electrical conduit should I use for outdoor and underground wiring? Types of Conduits for Underground Electrical Wiring.
Conduit Type for Underground Wiring
Electrical Question: What type of electrical conduit should I use for outdoor and underground?
- I’m getting ready to install security lighting around my mobile home.
- The main distribution panel is located outside on a pole in the backyard about 2 to 3 feet from the rear of the mobile home.
- I was planning on making connections directly to the main panel with conduit.
- What type of conduit is required to be used outdoors and underground?
- Do I have to use IMC or rigid or can I use EMT conduit?
This home electrical question came from: Richard, a Handyman from Peoria, Arizona.
See more about Home Wiring for Arizona
Thanks for your home Electrical Wiring question Richard.
Underground Electrical Conduits
Application: Installing Underground Electrical Conduit.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tool, Trenching Equipment and Shovels .
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools and the condition of the soil where PVC conduit will be installed.
Notice: Installing underground electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Conduits for Underground Electrical Wiring
- PVC and Rigid conduits are typically used when installing underground electrical wiring.
- The depth for underground conduit is typically 18 inches, depending on the specific installation and project type.
- EMT and IMC conduits should not be used for underground electrical wiring installations.
More about Electrical Conduits
- House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
- This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
For more about Electrical Codes
- Home Electrical Code
- Electrical Code Directory covering underground electrical and electrical wiring.
Browse other questions about this topic:
Electric Wiring Outdoor Wiring Underground Conduit electrical conduit, electrical wiring, how to electrical, install underground electric conduit, pvc conduit, rigid conduit, underground conduit
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.