» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Electric Clothes Dryer Double Pole Circuit
Which circuit breaker should be installed for an electric clothes dryer? How an Electrical Circuit is Wired for an Electric Clothes Dryer.
Electric Clothes Dryer
[ad#block]Electrical Question: Which circuit breaker should be installed for an electric clothes dryer?
- I bought a new electric clothes dryer. Everyone says I must have a 30 amp circuit breaker.
- My old dryer has been running on a 20 amp double pole circuit breaker with 10 gauge wire.
- Do I need to replace the breaker with a 30 amp?
- And why the heck did the old dryer run all these years on the 20 amp double pole circuit breaker!
This electrical question came from: Charlotte, a Homeowner in New Jersey.
Thanks for your electrical question Charlotte.
Electric Clothes Dryer Circuit Breaker
Circuit Requirement for an Electric Clothes Dryer
Electric Dryer 30 Amp Circuit and Breaker
- Charlotte, yes – the dryer does require a 30 amp 240 volt circuit.
- If the existing circuit wiring is #10 copper and the cable type is approved for 30 amps then a double pole 30 amp circuit breaker can be installed.
- Why the old dryer ran just fine all those years on 20 amps may be due to the size of the old dryer or a few other factors.
- You may also see if the new dryer installation manual requires a 4-wire circuit instead of the older 3-wire circuit.
More about Wiring a Dryer
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
3-Wire and 4-Wire Configurations for Clothes Dryers
See an electric dryer installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system. You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric dryer, or a 3-wire or 4-wire outlet. Lets look a how the electric dryer is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about 240 Volt Dryer Circuit and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Electrical Wiring for Machinery From Another Country||Is Modifying a Light Fixture Safe?|