Electrical Wiring for Machinery From Another Country
How to Connect the Electrical Wiring for Equipment that is Made in Another Country: I wired a machine that I had bought in another country which stated that it needed 230volts.
How to Wire Equipment Made in Another Country
Electrical Question: I wired a machine that I had bought in another country which stated that it needed 230volts.
- I hooked up a polishing machine that I had bought in another country which stated that it needed 230volts on the name plate, and it also had a separate plug for a vacuum to catch the dust.
- As soon as I turned it on sparks were coming from the vacuum and it was very noisy, then it blew a fuse on the machine.
- The wire supplying the machine also got very hot this wire was hooked up to a 2 pole 15 amp breaker in a 3 phase panel. What is the problem?
Thank-you very much.
This electrical question came from: Don, a Handyman from Taylor, Michigan.
See more about Home Wiring for Michigan
Additional Comments: Very informative Thanks!
Dave the Electrician’s Reply:
Thanks for your electrical question Don.
Wiring Equipment that is Made in Another Country
- The electrical circuit requirements for machinery from another country must be carefully evaluated and compared to the electrical power that you have available.
- You state that you connected the machine to a three phase panel, however the name plate information you provided does not state the amperage, and you have not identified the exact voltage of the three phase electrical panel that you have connected the machinery to.
- All three phase power is not the same, and some services have a high stinger legs as well.
- You should also be aware that the colors of the wiring that may be used to for the machinery from the other country is standard to the electrical systems in that country and not in the United States. This is especially important for the ground wire connections.
- I would suggest that you hire a qualified electrician to evaluate the machinery from the other country, and evaluate the electrical service panel that you have so that the correct electrical circuit may be provided.
More about 120/240 Volt Electrical Wiring
- House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
- This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
- Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about 220 Volt Wiring Diagram
220 Volt Wiring Diagram
- Wiring 220 Volt Electrical Outlet
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how electrical outlets for the home are wired.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|« Electrical Power for a Stack Washer and Dryer||Electric Clothes Dryer Double Pole Circuit »|