Dimmer Switch Wiring Connections
Electrical Wire Connections for a Dimmer Switch – Many times it is found that a white wire may be used for a switch leg which will carry current or electricity to the light fixture. If you discover this, make sure to identify the wire as a switched wire.
Identifying Dimmer Switch Wiring Connections
Wiring a Dimmer: I am connecting a light fixture to a dimmer switch.
- I have a red wire, black wire, and a white wire coming from the box.
- I have three non colored wires from the fixture labeled GRN, LN, and N.
- What connections should I use to complete this task?
This electrical question came from: Garry, a Homeowner from Calgary, Canada
See more about Home Wiring for Canada
Thanks for your electrical question Garry
Dimmer Switch Wiring Connections
Garry, with a lot of switch wiring, the actual use of the wire should be identified using a voltage tester, and this would help out with your dimmer switch wiring project. There are some designations for wiring that can be easily identified, such as the following:
Typical Electrical Wiring Connections for a Dimmer Switch
- GRN is for the Ground Wire connection.
- LN is for the Line and is typically the Black Wire which is the power source.
- N is for the Neutral or White Wire
Electrical Tip for Dimmer Switch Wiring
- It is best to use a voltage tester to positively identify what the designation is of the wires in the switch box.
- Many times it is found that a white wire may be used for a switch leg which will carry current or electricity to the light fixture.
- If you discover this, make sure to identify the wire as a switched leg or wire by wrapping a piece of electrical tape over the white insulation of the wire.
Generally most new switches come with an explanation for the wires found on the dimmer switch. Typically two wires will be one color, usually red which identifies the traveler wires, and the third wire is typically black. Most all dimmer switches are made to be used for either a single switch or a three way switch, so if you are replacing a single switch then cap off one of the two red traveler wires with a wire connector.
The Following will assist you with Wiring Dimmer Switches:
3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
- Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Home Generator Repairs the Right Way||How To Avoid a Bad Electrical Contractor »|