Understanding Electrical PVC Conduit Sizes
Selecting the Right PVC Conduit for Your Electrical Wiring Project – PVC Conduit for Electrical Wiring – (Poly Vinyl Chloride). PVC conduit is commonly used for underground electrical wiring.
Working with Electrical PVC Conduit
Electrical Question: Should I use special PVC couplings and fittings for Schedule 80 Electrical PVC Conduit?
I am just curious,
- I am using 1″ schedule 80 PVC conduit.
- Do they make schedule 80 couplings(SxS) or can you use schedule 40 PVC fittings?
This electrical question came from: Phil, a Homeowner from Duvall, Washington.
See more about Electrical Wiring for Washington
Thanks for your electrical question Phil.
PVC Conduit for Electrical Wiring
Phil, the couplings and fittings for schedule 40 and schedule 80 PVC are the same size, here’s why:
Differences Between Schedule 40 and Schedule 80 PVC Conduit
- The inside diameter is smaller with schedule 80 PVC because the wall of the conduit is thicker.
- The inside diameter of schedule 40 PVC conduit is larger because the wall of the conduit is thinner.
- The outside diameter of both SCH 40 and SCH 80 is the same.
Selecting the Right PVC Conduit for Electrical Wiring
- PVC Conduit for Electrical Wiring – (Poly Vinyl Chloride).
- PVC conduit is commonly used for underground electrical wiring.
- The gray color makes it easy to identify Electrical PVC Conduit.
- Schedule 40 PVC is the most commonly used for underground wiring.
- Schedule 80 PVC has a thicker wall to provide more protection to the electrical wire.
Schedule 80 PVC is commonly used in above ground applications where the conduit is vulnerable to damage.
The Following will assist you with your electrical question:
For more information about Electrical Code:
- Home Electrical Code
- Electrical Code Directory covering AFCI circuit, electrical-boxes, electrical-circuit, electrical-code-outlets, electrical GFCI, electrical-grounding, electrical-project, electrical-services, electrical-underground, electrical-wiring, electrical-wiring-code, lighting-codes and smoke-detectors.
Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical, PVC Conduit and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Diagrams for Wiring Switched Outlets||How To Fix 3Way Light Switch Wiring|