Circuit Wiring for a Sub-Panel
How to Install a Sub-Panel: Wiring for a Sub-Panel, Necessary Planning When Installing an Electrical Sub-Panel and the main feeder cable.
Installing a Sub-Panel
Electrical Question: I am installing a sub panel and have questions about the main wire connections.
- Can I connect the sub-panel wires by the Main lugs, or do I need to go into a breaker first.
- Am I required to have only one separate ground rod?
- I am planning on getting this inspected also.
Thanks for your time!
This Electrical Wiring Question came from: Katie, a Homeowner from Roy, Washington.
Additional Comments: Great resource for a homeowner.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Katie.
How to Install a Sub-Panel
Application: Wiring a Sub Panel
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor, Danger of Arc Flash.
Tools Required: Electricians pouch of hand tools and the various power tools necessary for installing the sub-panel.
Estimated Time: Depends on the type and size of the panel and available access to the project area.
Precaution: Any existing electrical wiring within the immediate area that may interfere with the installation of the sub panel should be identified and turned OFF and Tagged if necessary.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring and a sub-panel should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Installing a Electrical Sub-Panel and Planning the Circuits
- Installing a sub-panel is something that requires careful consideration and understanding in order for the project to be done safely and according to a list of applicable electrical codes, this is why I recommend that homeowners consult a qualified licensed electrical contractor to assist with a project of this nature.
- The main feeder cable wiring must be selected and sized properly and connected to a separate circuit breaker in the panel that is supplying the power to the sub-panel.
- There are several factors that must be considered when sizing and installing a sub-panel and a qualified electrician will be extremely helpful to identify these with you.
More about Wiring a Sub-Panel
Electrical Wiring Codes
Home Electrical Codes
- Electrical Code Directory covering AFCI circuit, electrical-boxes, electrical-circuit, electrical-code-outlets, electrical GFCI, electrical-grounding
- Electrical-project, electrical-services, electrical-underground, electrical-wiring, electrical-wiring-code, lighting-codes and smoke-detectors.
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
- This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
- Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
- Electrical Circuit Breakers
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring.
- When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Basic Home Wiring Diagrams
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Electrical Wiring Conversions for Clothes Dryers||Installing a Occupancy Sensor Switch for a Bath Exhaust Fan|