Ceiling Fan Works but Not the Light
I wired my ceiling fan and light. The fan will come on but the light will not. How can I fix this?
Ceiling Fan Wiring Problem
Electrical Question: I wired my ceiling fan and light, the fan will come on but the light will not.
- I recently installed a ceiling fan with a light ensemble. Both the fan and the light are dimmable. I purchased the Hunter light switch along with the Hunter fan.
- There are two black wires coming out of the box. The two white wires are capped and pushed back into the box. The dimmer switch has four wires; black( hot); blue (fan); red (light); green (ground).
- Whenever I follow the instructions the fan will come on but the light will not. HELP!
This electrical wiring question came from Henry, a Handyman in Tennessee.
Additional Comments: I am glad I found this web site. I hope this will help me solve my problem.
Henry, Thank You for Visiting Ask-the-Electrician!
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Henry.
How to Fix a Ceiling Fan Switch Problem
Application: Ceiling Fan Problem with a Wall Switch.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor, or Certified Electrician.
Electrical Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester, and appropriate Safety Gear.
Estimated Time: Depends on the personal level experience, ability to work with tools, install electrical circuit wiring, and the available access to the project area.
Electrical Safety: Identify the electrical power source to the Switch, turn it OFF and Tag with a Note before working with the electrical wiring.
Electrical Wiring Parts and Materials: Electrical parts and materials for the Switch should be approved for the specific project and compliant with local and national electrical codes.
Electrical Codes and Inspections: Installing or changing home electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes as adopted in Tennessee. A permit and inspections may also be required.
Ceiling Fan Switch Problem
This electrical wiring project is about Ceiling Fan Problem with a Switch in the Office of a Old Home.
Ceiling Fan Light Switch Problem
Reviewing the Electrical Question:
- Henry, from the information you have provided, the wires in the switch box will need to be tested to see if the wiring that is required for the switch functions are available.
- If you find that all of the wiring is not available, then a Remote Wall Switch and Remote Control Module may be installed instead.
- From what is visible in your photo, this switch is not a remote control switch, therefore more wires may be required.
More about Wiring Switches and Remote Controls for a Ceiling Fan
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance. One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
Home Office Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Home Office Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Remote Module, Wall Switch and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Why a New Hot Tub May Not Work Right||Grounding a Panel in a Detached Building|