Ceiling Fan Wires Black White Red and Green
How to Connect the Red Wire for a Ceiling Fan: I’m wiring a ceiling fan and there is a red wire and I don’t know where to connect it.
The Red Wire for a Ceiling Fan
Electrical Question: I’m wiring a ceiling fan and there is a red wire and I don’t know where to connect it.
- The outlet has the black wire, white wire, and green wires.
- It also has a red wire.
- What is the red wire for?
- White is neutral and black is power and green is ground, red?
This electrical wiring question came from: Jerry from Erie, Colorado.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Jerry.
How to Connect the Red Wire for a Ceiling Fan
Application: Wiring a Ceiling Fan.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best wired by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the ceiling fan.
Precaution: Identify the ceiling fan circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Wall Switch Wiring for a Ceiling Fan
- Many bedrooms ceiling fixture boxes are pre-wired for a ceiling fan which includes a black, red, white and green or ground wire.
- This typically provide the capability for separate a switch for the fan and the light.
- This creates the possibility for installing a dimmer control for the ceiling fan light.
- So with most wiring scenarios the the red wire in the ceiling is for the wall switch, which is for the light fixture of the ceiling fan.
More about Wiring a Ceiling Fan
- How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
- Ceiling Fan Wiring diagram #1
- Ceiling Fan Wiring diagram #2
- Wiring ceiling fans
- How to Install Ceiling Fans
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
|« Cable Strapping and Wiring Methods||Kitchen Electrical Circuit Wiring »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.