Ceiling Fan Rotation for Energy Savings
Which Direction Should the Ceiling Fan Blades Rotate? Ceiling Fan Blade Direction for Energy Savings.
Ceiling Fan Rotation
Ceiling Fan Question: Which Direction Should the Ceiling Fan Blades Rotate?
- I have searched but never found out which direction the ceiling fan should rotate in the summer and winter. Should the ceiling fan blades be set to turn clockwise or counter clockwise?
This electrical question came from: Rochelle, a Handy Woman from Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania.
See more about Home Wiring for Pennsylvania
Thanks for your Ceiling Fan Question Rochelle.
Ceiling Fan Blade Direction
Ceiling fans can help save on energy, and the direction the blades turn will make a difference.
Setting the Ceiling Fan Blade Direction for Energy Savings
- There is a general consensus that pulling the air up is the right setting for winter to keep the room warm, and push the air down to cool in the summertime, however due to differences in room types and sizes, it is best to experiment to see which direction works for the specific room and the occupants.
- Other factors will be the layout of the room furniture, and the location and size of windows which can have a great affect on cooling or heating of a room or living space.
Typical Ceiling Fan Blade Direction
- The clockwise rotation of a ceiling fan will pull the air upward.
- The counter clockwise rotation of a ceiling fan will push the air downward.
More about Ceiling Fans
There are now two pages added that demonstrate the subject of Ceiling Fan Rotation, just follow the links below to the large ceiling fan section of the website.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
- How to Install Ceiling Fans
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
|« Minimum Height for Electric Service Meter||How to Test Electrical Wiring for a Light Fixture »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Ceiling Fan Rotation Winter and Summer
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.