Causes of Dim or Flickering Lights
What would cause lights to flicker and go dim then brighter? Common Problems that Cause Dim and Flickering Lights.
Flickering Light Problem
Electrical Question: What would cause lights to flicker and go dim then brighter?
- I have some up stairs lights that are flickering, and going dim then brighter. This does not happen all the time but quite often.
- I went to my breaker box and flicked one of the breakers and they all went off, but the wire that goes upstairs is connected to a couple of breakers.
- I found where the junction box is in my attic and checked all connections and they seemed to be OK.
- What do you think could be causing this? Would the problem be located before the junction box, or could it be after the wires all go to the different rooms, or could it be the breaker?
Please any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Jerry
Background: Jerry, a Homeowner from East Palestine, Ohio.
Thanks for your electrical question Jerry.
Dim and Flickering Lights Problem
Application: Electrical Troubleshooting a Dim and Flickering Light Problem.
Skill Level: Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester or Volt Ohm Meter and a Circuit Tracer.
Estimated Time: Depends on the type and age of the home, the condition of the electric wiring, and the access to the circuits and wiring to be evaluated.
Precaution: Identify the affected circuit, turn it OFF and then Tag it with a Note before performing any wiring or inspections or electrical repairs. Electrical troubleshooting and repairs requires specific tests of the electrical circuits. Working in an electric panel is dangerous due to arc flash hazards and the possibility of electric shock.
Notice: Repairs to Home Electrical Wiring should be made according to local and national electrical codes. Installing new or replacement electrical wiring may require a permit and inspections.
Common Problems that Cause Dim and Flickering Lights
From what has been described in this electrical question, there are a few possible problems with the electrical wiring of this circuit which I will explain below:
- There may be a faulty connection within the circuit, most likely a neutral wire splice.
- The question describes that the wire that goes upstairs is connected to a couple of circuit breakers, however a 120 volt circuit should be supplied with power from only one circuit breaker, therefore this condition may be directly associated with the problem of lights flickering and going dim and bright.
- This problem is going to require some electrical troubleshooting techniques, so I have placed some links below that will help with the process of troubleshooting that may help to identify the problem.
- To have this problem corrected safely and properly I highly recommend that you consider consulting a local qualified electrician.
More about Electrical Troubleshooting for Dim and Flickering Lights
Troubleshooting and Repairing Electrical Wiring
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered including electrical problems that can cause dim and flickering lights.
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Testers to Help Troubleshoot Electrical Problems that Cause Dim and Flickering Lights.
|« Tripping AFCI Breaker Problems and How To Fix Them||Fluorescent Light Fixtures with Hot Socket Wires »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.