» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Can Landlords Charge Tenants or Renters for Electricity?
How a Landlord Can Be Compliant When Charging For Electricity and How to Monitor the Usage of Electrical Consumption.
Landlords Who Can Charging For Electricity
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I’m a student renter in a apt, in which heat and hot water is included in the rent. Only the stove and electrical outlets run off the electric.
I have noticed a drastic increase in my electric bill. For example Jan-Feb bill was $96.00. I believe the landlord has connected the electrical hot water heater to my electric meter even though its included. The electric hot water heater is in my unit in the kitchen and the electric panel box is in my living room closet. Is their a way to look at these items and determine if this is happening?
Any insight would be helpful.
Background: Janine, a Student from Springfield, Pennsylvania.
Thanks for your home electrical question Janine.
How a Landlord Can Be Compliant When Charging For Electricity
- I would be curious to know how the landlord is able to separate the electrical usage between the included heating and the hot water, compared to the usage of the electric stove and outlets. If this is stated in your rental contract then proof of determining the charges, or method of metering and billings should be available for inspection. Unfortunately such arrangements can produce unjustifiable and possibly unlawful charges.
- As a renter you have every right to challenge the billings and request proof that supports the increase in charges. Most state laws prohibit anyone from acting as a utility company thereby profiting from the resale of utilities of any kind, unless they are a licensed and approved private utility company. The sale of provided utilities must be sold at the same rate that is currently being charged by the local utility company.
- Your state may provide further assistance with issues on utility charges and renters, tenants and landlords rights, and I would encourage you to contact the authority for such regulations in your area. It may interest the landlord to know that private electronic monitoring devices for electrical consumption may be installed on each electrical panel that serves each rental unit. Devices such as the TED Electricity Monitor include accurate consumption data to justify tenant and renter billings. These electronic power recording monitors provide a detailed report that can then be used for accurate tenant billings.
How to Monitor the Usage of Electrical Consumption
Janie you have also asked if there is a way to monitor the usage of the electrical consumption of the water heater or other appliances, and the answer is yes. There are a wide range of monitoring devices that are available. Many are very affordable and easy to use, and there are more advanced monitoring devices which record the actual electrical usage for each device.
Here is a partial list of Energy Monitors which may be helpful:
- Blueline PowerCost Monitor – Wireless Whole House Electricity Monitor.
- TED The Energy Detective Electricity Monitor TED.
- ENVI Energy Saving Monitor.
- Black and Decker Power Monitor.
- Watts up? .NET Electricity Usage Monitor.
Please consult the details of each device for installation and operation.
More about Home Energy Usage
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
Home Energy Savings
Methods that show how to start saving energy right away for very little investment compared to the savings you will realize.
Understanding Digital Volt Meters
When working on home electrical wiring using voltage meter can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers and voltage meters enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
Types of Electrical Testers
Using Electrical Testers and Voltage Meters
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Bills for Renters or Tenants, Electrical, Home Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Wire a Fluorescent Light Fixture in a Garage||Home Electrical Power Problems and the Utility Company|