Are You Doing Your Electrical Wiring Project Right?
I am Installing Some Electrical Wiring Myself, Am I Doing it Right? Installing Home Electrical Circuit Wiring, Planning Electrical Wiring for a Home Project, Electrical Codes and Circuit Requirements.
Install Home Electrical Circuits and Wiring
Electrical Question: I am Installing Some Electrical Wiring Myself, Am I Doing it Right?
Here is my project:
I am finishing my basement project. I am doing the electrical wiring myself, but I will have an electrician hook up the circuit breaker box.
- I have installed 30 can lights and 32 outlets.
- I have 6 empty slots which will have 20amp breakers.
- I did use 12 AWG wire.
I was going to split the breakers as follows:
- Half of great room with 4 can lights and 6 plugs.
- Half of great room with 6 can lights and 5 plugs.
- Bedroom with 5 can lights and 6 plugs.
- Bathroom with 5 can lights, 4 plugs, and a vent fan.
- Laundry room and storage room with 4 can lights (2 in each room) and 5 plugs. *the washer and dryer will use their existing breakers from upstairs.
- Office with 6 can lights and 6 plugs.
Will the 6 (20 amp) breakers suffice for these rooms?
Thanks in advance,
This electrical wiring question came from: Wayne, a Homeowner from Shepherdsville, Kentucky.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Wayne.
Electrical Wiring for a Home Project
Application: Installing Home Electrical Wiring
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Electricians Pouch of Hand Tools for Rough-In Wiring, Electric Drill and Auger Bits and Extension Cord.
Estimated Time: Depends on the extent of the basement wiring project, the type of construction and available access to the basement project area.
Precaution: Any existing wiring in the immediate area that may interfere with the installation should be identified and turned OFF and Tagged.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Planning Electrical Wiring for a Home Project and Doing It Right
- Wayne, this is a very loaded question, so I will summarize with this, and please understand my position here. I admire the fact that you want to do this project yourself, however every electrical project should be done right, beginning with a plan, after obtaining a permit and then fully inspected. With the information that you have provided there are some serious issues with your basement wiring project.
- I might add here that with a project like this you may have a problem hiring a licensed electrical contractor who will come in and make the connections, because he will be assuming responsibility for your electrical wiring project, unless he requires you to sign a waiver that will release him of any liability.
- I will say as nicely as I can that just because any individual installs electrical wiring does not mean that it is done correctly, even if it appears to work. This is why we have electrical codes and we must install our projects with a permit and have all the necessary inspections.
Overlooked items that are not mentioned in this Basement Wiring Project include:
- Smoke Detectors where required in inhabited areas.
- AFCI protection for bedrooms and other outlets as required.
- GFCI protected circuits for bathrooms, kitchens, and other locations as required.
- Dedicated Circuits as required to specific areas to avoid overloaded conditions.
- An explanation of all of these items can be found in my book, and are too extensive to list here, you may want to consider my Home Electrical Wiring eBook.
Failure to Plan is the Biggest Mistake
The biggest problem with this and so many other projects like this is the person starts asking questions after the work has been done. Each and every successful electrical wiring project should begin with a plan and an understanding of the full scope of every component of the project and the all the building codes and local ordinances that apply.
More about Basement Electrical Wiring
Basement Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Basement Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Electrical Codes and Circuit Requirements
Electrical Code Directory covering circuits and wiring methods.
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Electrical Circuit Wiring
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance. One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
Bathroom Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bathroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Laundry Room Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Laundry Room Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Bedroom Electrical Wiring Requirements
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bedroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
For more information about Electrical Wiring
Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
Browse other questions about this topic:
Electrical Wiring basement electrical wiring, basement wiring project, electrical circuit, electrical wiring, electrical wiring project, home electrical, how install electric, how to electrical, install electrical wire, install wiring
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.