How to Wire More Than One Switch
How to Wire Multiple Light Switches: Wiring more than one switch to control separate light fixtures.
Electrical Wiring for Light Switches
Electrical Question: How can I wire three single pole switches for three separate areas of my basement with one line in?
This electrical wiring question came from: Ted, a Handyman from Herndon, CA.
Additional Comments: First time user.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Ted.
Wiring Light Switches
Application: Wiring Light Switches.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with hand tools.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional fixture wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Materials: Make sure the replacement light switch has the same amperage and voltage rating as the original switch, and is fully compatible with the electrical circuit, the light fixture and the type of light bulbs being used.
How to Wire Multiple Light Switches
- To wire more than one switch is basically the same as wiring just one switch except that the power source will have to be looped to each switch box location or to each light fixture location.
- Many times the wiring method will depend on the structure and the available access to install the wiring.
- If there will be more than one single pole light switches in the same switch box then a power lead may be attached to each switch then they are all spliced together with the power source of the incoming circuit.
More about Wiring for Light Switches
Light Switch Wiring
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
Electrical Wiring Diagrams
- Home electrical wiring diagrams are an important tool for completing your electrical projects.
- An electrical wiring diagram can be as simple as a diagram showing how to install a new switch in your hallway.
- Or as complex as the complete electrical blueprint for your new home or home improvement project.
Wiring Diagrams Directory
How to Install Basement Electrical Wiring
Basement Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Basement Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
|« Bathroom GFI Outlet Wiring||Planning a Solar Power System »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Single Pole Switch
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.