Adding Electrical Wiring in the Home
How should I install electrical wiring inside the walls of my home? Installing Electrical Wiring around Obstacles inside the walls and ceilings.
Installing Electrical Wiring
Electrical Question: How should I install electrical wiring inside the walls of my home?
- I am installing some new recessed lights in an existing circuit in my kitchen in our home built in 2003.
- The location of the new lights will require me to run the 14/2 NM wiring through ceiling joists perpendicular to where there is a HVAC duct which is likely flexible foil duct if consistent with the rest of the house.
- I don’t have access to this section of the ceiling where the duct runs without tearing out additional drywall, which is really undesired.
- There is approx. 14 inches from the ceiling drywall to the second floor above, so there should be ample room around the duct for the wiring.
- I plan on drilling holes through the joists on either side of the duct to run the Type-NM wire.
- As long as I don’t run the wiring through the duct, are there any other restrictions/special requirements that must be followed to be safe and meet code?
- Can the wire touch/rest on the duct?
- Should the holes be sealed around the wires?
This electrical question came from: Greg, a Homeowner from McKinney, Texas.
Additional Comments: Great website.
Thanks for your electrical question Greg.
How to Install Electrical Wiring Inside Walls and Ceilings
Application: Installing Electrical Wiring for a 120 Volt Circuit.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced. This electrical project is best performed by a Licensed Electrician or Electrical Contractor or Certified Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, electric drill, drill auger bits and extension cord.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and install electrical circuit wiring.
Precaution: Identify the panel circuit of the source power, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before making any wiring connections or modifications to the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional circuit wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Installing Electrical Wiring around Obstacles and HVAC Ducting
- As mentioned in this question, the new electrical wiring cannot penetrate the HVAC duct.
- It is best to plan the path that will be used for installing the electrical wiring to avoid potential obstacles and prevent running out of wire.
- Electrical wiring can be installed around the duct as long as the cable wiring does not interfere with the flex duct where it may squeeze the duct size smaller.
- It is best if the electrical cable is installed where it does not come into contact with the duct.
More about Electrical Wiring
- Electric Circuit Listing
- The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
- How To Install Recessed Lighting
- This article is about recessed lighting for your home electrical improvements. Discover how recessed lighting can enhance the mood of any room in your home.
- Electrical Code Articles
- Electrical Code Directory covering AFCI circuit, electrical-boxes, electrical-circuit, electrical-code-outlets, electrical GFCI, electrical-grounding, electrical-project, electrical-services, electrical-underground, electrical-wiring, electrical-wiring-code, lighting-code, smoke-detector,
For more information about Rewiring a Home
Rewiring a Home
- Rewiring Home Electrical Wiring
- Great ideas for home electrical rewiring that will add value to your home and bring it up to the current safety and energy efficient electrical codes.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electric Wiring, Installing New Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Wiring a Bathroom Exhaust Fan and Switch||Replacing Ceiling Light Fixtures with Ceiling Fans|