Wiring For Clothes Dryers – Don’t Do This
How to Wire a Dryer Cord and Plug: Find out how it s it possible to rewire most dryers so that it can use a 3 wire plug.
Wiring 3Wire and 4Wire Dryer Plugs
Electrical Question: I have a four wire plug on my dryer.
- I installed a four wire plug in my wall, however, when my house was wired whoever did it cut the red wire off before the circuit panel and hooked up the white and black wires to the breaker instead of the red and black.
- My old dryer had a 3 wire plug so this was not an issue.
- I need to know if I need to find the end of the red wire somehow and pigtail off of that and hook it up where the white wire is now and if so where do I then hook the white wire to in the panel, Or is it possible to rewire the dryer so that I can use a 3 wire plug on it instead
This electrical question came from: Bob, a Homeowner from Kalispell, Montana.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Bob.
Electrical Wiring for a Dryer Plug
How to Wire a Dryer Plug and Cord
Application: Wiring a Dryer Plug
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of outlets that will be replaced.
Precaution: Identify the electric dryer circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Bob, follow the links below and you will see how to make the connection using a 3 wire plug.
- Wiring a Dryer
- Electric dryer installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system.
- 3-wire or 4-wire electric dryer plug and outlet connections.
- What to do if your cord does not match the plug.
For more information about 220 Volt Wiring Diagram
220 Volt Wiring Diagram
Wiring 220 Volt Electrical Outlet
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how electrical outlets for the home are wired.
- Never cut off unused wires, especially where you cannot get to the wire.
- If a wire is not going to be used then place a wire nut over the end and cap it off, but do not cut the wire off.
- Unused electrical wires must be safely enclosed and accessible for circuit testing and future use.
More about Electrical Wiring for a Dryer
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Electric Circuit Listing
The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Browse other questions about this topic:
220 Volt Wiring Dryer Wiring Electrical Wiring 3wire dryer cord, 3wire dryer plug, 4wire dryer plug, dryer circuit, dryer plug, electrical circuit, Electrical Repair, electrical wiring, wiring dryer outlet
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.