» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Wiring for Ceiling Fans
How do I connect a new ceiling fan to the existing wiring and wall switch? The Main Wiring Connections of a Standard Ceiling Fan.
Internal Wiring for Ceiling Fans
[ad#block]Electrical Question: How do I connect a new ceiling fan to the existing wiring and wall switch?
Sasanka in Texas asks:
- How do I connect a new ceiling fan that has 4 wires coming from the fan winding with the two wires of the capacitor, and of course make the connection with the supply phase and neutral?
- At the ceiling, how do I know which wire is for the running winding of the motor, and which wires are for the starting winding with the help of a Multimeter?
David in Oregon asks:
- I am trying to connect a ceiling fan/light. The ceiling fan has white and black wires, and I’ve got white, black, and red wires coming out of the ceiling.
- I connected the white and black wires, left the red alone and capped. turned on the light switch, and the fan would not come on. double checked, and everything was connected.
- I unscrewed the light switch, and it has red and black wires connected to it, with the white wore alone and capped.
- I went back up to the fan and connected the red wire in the ceiling to the white wire in the fan, thinking that the red wire was bringing power to that fan, but when I turned it on I ended up tripping all the hardwired fire alarms in my apartment. Now I’m not at all sure what to do.
Thanks for your electrical questions.
How to Wire a Ceiling Fan
Application: Wiring a Ceiling Fan.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a licensed electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the ceiling fan.
Precaution: Identify the ceiling fan circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
How to Connect a New Ceiling Fan’s 4 Wires Coming From the Fan
The Main Wiring Connections of a Standard Ceiling Fan
For Sasanka in Texas:
- Ceiling Fan Wire to Electrical Circuit Wire Respectively, Described Below:
- NOTE: Wiring configurations may vary with ceiling fan and circuit wiring.
- Ceiling Fan Motor: Black wire connects to the circuit Black wire.
- Ceiling Fan Light: Blue wire connects to circuit Red wire (or as designated).
- Ceiling Fan Neutral: White wire connects to circuit White wire.
- Ceiling Fan Ground: Green wire connects to circuit Green or Bare Copper wire.
- Internal Components of a Ceiling Fans
- Motor Pull Chain Switch
- Light Fixture Pull Chain Switch
- Motor Capacitor
- Motor Rotation Switch
Replacing Internal Ceiling Fan Components
Ceiling Fan Component Wiring
- The exact make and model number number of the ceiling fan which you have would be very helpful.
- It should also be noted that most of the internal components of the ceiling fan rarely need to be disturbed or rewired unless an internal ceiling fan component needs to be replaced.
- If this should occur then the exact replacement must be obtained and then wired exactly as the original component unless otherwise instructed by the manufacturer of the part.
For David in Oregon:
- If the hardwired fire alarms are triggered when the wall switch is on then the lighting circuit is shared with the smoke detectors.
- In this case the ceiling wiring and the wall switch wiring will need to be tested and verified to identify the right wires that are used for the ceiling fan.
More about Installing and Wiring a Ceiling Fan
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
Ceiling Fan Wiring
Ceiling Fan Wiring diagram #1
Ceiling Fan Wiring diagram #2
Ceiling Fan Installation #1
Ceiling Fan Installation #2
Understanding Digital Volt Meters
When working on home electrical wiring using voltage meter can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers and voltage meters enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
Types of Electrical Testers
Using Electrical Testers and Voltage Meters
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Wiring Diagrams and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Wiring Diagram for Lights and Switches||Light Bulb and Dimmer Switch Compatibility|