Wiring Electrical Service Changes
Careful Planning for Electrical Service Changes: All circuit wire conductor types and sizes must be properly protected by an over current device or circuit breaker.
Electrical Service Panel
Electrical Question: At our office we have a 3 phase electrical service. There are three 110 volt lines that come from the electric meter can to a breaker. Then out of the breaker to the panel box. We also own another office bay next door, and the meter can for that is next to the first office in the bank of meters.This office does not have a meter and is dead. We have permission to run both offices of the first meter can feed. Here is what I did. I disconnected the 3 wires that were connected to the bottom of the breaker of the dead can, and spliced them accordingly to the 3 wires coming from the bottom of the breaker on the live can.
- I also carried over the ground wire. The one office works as normal, but the other office does nothing. What am I missing? I can send a hand drawn diagram if you like.
Your help is needed.
This electrical wiring question came from: Neil, from Cancun, Mexico.
Dave The Electrician’s Reply:
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Neil.
Careful Planning for Electrical Service Changes
Please be advised that this is a question from Mexico dealing with an electrical service that is not typical for Residential or Home Electrical Services in the U.S.A.
Skill Level: Advanced – Licensed Electrical Contractor, Not Recommended for Homeowners.
Tools Required: Electricians pouch of hand tools and the various power tools necessary for the specific service upgrade.
Estimated Time: Depends on the type of panel and available access to the project area.
Precaution: This is an extensive project that should be performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Notice: Making changes to the Electrical Service Panel should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
- Neil, you have not mentioned the neutral conductor for the electrical services, and if the neutral has not been supplied to the office panel then it too will need to be connected along with the other phase conductors.
- From the information that has been provided with this question it would be good to consider the following:
- Be sure that the primary service conductors of the original office electrical service are disconnected to avoid back feeding any other existing wiring.
- All circuit wire conductor types and sizes must be properly protected by an over current device or circuit breaker.
- All electrical work including service panel modifications should be installed with a permit and inspected.
More about Electrical Services and Panels
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Electrical Junction Box Splice
Electrical junction box splices can be made safely when you understand the method. This example will show you how its done step by step and shows how to make a junction box splice and the related electrical codes.
Understanding Digital Volt Meters
When working on home electrical wiring using voltage meter can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers and voltage meters enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
Types of Electrical Testers
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Electrical Wiring for a Laundry Room||Testing the Circuit for Your Kitchen Stove|