» Need Electrical Help? Get a Quick Reply! Ask the Electrician
Wiring Diagrams for Installing Ceiling Fans
How to Wire Switches for a Ceiling Fan and Light: Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagrams, Wiring Two Toggle Type Stack Switches or a Double Switch for a Ceiling Fan.By: Dave Rongey
Ceiling Fan and Switch Wiring Diagrams
Electrical Question: I’m putting in a ceiling fan and light kit that is installed properly, but I’m having trouble with the switch.
- It is a single gang box with Type NM cable and wire coming in.
- There is a white wire, black wire, ground wire which is the power from breaker box, and three wires leading to fan which are red for the ceiling fan light kit, black wire to the fan motor, then the white wire and ground wires.
- The switch I have has 2 toggle type switches stacked on top of one another and fits in single gang box. It has a grounding screw and one screw on left two on right that are all brass.
- I need to know how to hook this up so the light is controlled by one switch, preferably the top switch, and the fan to be controlled by the other.
If you have a wiring diagram that would be greatly appreciated.
This ceiling fan question came from: William, a Homeowner from Marion Indiana.
Additional Comments: I love your website!
Thanks for your Ceiling Fan Question William.
How to Wire a 2 Stack Switch for a Ceiling Fan and Light
Application: Stack Switch for a Ceiling Fan and Light.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with hand tools.
Precaution: Identify the power source circuit at the electric panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Materials: Make sure the stack or tandem switch switch is fully compatible with the electrical circuit and the ceiling fan and the light fixture and the type of light bulbs being used.
Wiring Two Toggle Type Stack Switches or a Double Switch for a Ceiling Fan
- The 2 stack switch or tandem switch allows two switches to be installed into a single light switch box so that one switch may control the ceiling fan while the other switch operates the ceiling fan light.
- On one side of the stack switch there are the screws for a common power feed on one side, which may be bridged together or if there are separate power sources then the bridge may be removed.
- On the opposite side of the switch there are separate screw connections for the individual functions of the light and ceiling fan motor.
Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagrams
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
- How to Install Ceiling Fans
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Learn more about Home Electrical Wiring
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Ceiling Fans and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Installing Garage Light Fixtures||Troubleshooting Electrical Outlets|