Wiring Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switches
The Pull Chain Switch on my Ceiling Fan Does Not Work, How Can I Fix It? Installing a Pull Chain Switch, Troubleshooting a Problem with a Pull Chain Switch.
Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switch
[ad#block]Electrical Question: The Pull Chain Switch on my Ceiling Fan Does Not Work, How Can I Fix It?
- I am replacing a 2 wire pull chain switch for the light in a ceiling fan.
- I made sure it clicked on and off prior to installing it.
- After I installed it the light went on but then it popped when I turned it off and now it will not click anymore.
- What could have caused this, and how can I correct it.
This electrical wiring question came from: Lawrence, a Homeowner from Boca Raton, Florida.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Lawrence.
How to Replace a Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switch
Application: Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switch.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Materials: Make sure the replacement pull chain switch has the same as the original switch, and is fully compatible with the ceiling fan you have.
Wiring a Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switch
Before Replacing a Pull Chain Switch
- Make sure you are purchasing the right pull chain switch because there are several different types that are available for a variety of applications.
- Before removing the existing pull chain switch make sure to identify the wiring connections.
- Mark with tape or use a permanent marker.
- After identifying the pull chain switch wiring the switch may be removed so that you can take it to the hardware store to purchase a replacement.
- Never throw the old pull chain switch away until you know that the replacement switch is the right one.
Installing a Pull Chain Switch
- When replacing a ceiling fan pull chain switch be sure the wiring connections are insulated and secure.
- Make the wiring connections the same as they were with the original switch, and use wire connectors to splice the wires together.
- Check to make sure the wires that attach to the switch are secure, and there are no areas of bare wire that are visible.
Troubleshooting a Problem with a Pull Chain Switch
- If a pull chain switch made a popping sound and then stopped working this could be an indication that the wiring is incorrect, or that there is another problem with the light fixture.
- A popping sound is the result of the electrical current passing thru the contacts of the switch. If there is a direct short within the circuit if the light fixture this could create a popping sound and may damage the pull chain switch.
- Be sure to inspect the light fixture wiring for any damage or pinched wires which could occur during the installation process.
More about Wiring a Ceiling Fan and Switches
- How to Wire and Install a Ceiling Fan
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring.
- Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Ceiling Fans, Electrical Wiring, Pull Chain Switch and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How To Repair Your Light Fixtures||How To Connect Ceiling Fan Wires|