Wiring Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switches
The Pull Chain Switch on my Ceiling Fan Does Not Work, How Can I Fix It? Installing a Pull Chain Switch, Troubleshooting a Problem with a Pull Chain Switch.
Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switch
[ad#block]Electrical Question: The Pull Chain Switch on my Ceiling Fan Does Not Work, How Can I Fix It?
- I am replacing a 2 wire pull chain switch for the light in a ceiling fan.
- I made sure it clicked on and off prior to installing it.
- After I installed it the light went on but then it popped when I turned it off and now it will not click anymore.
- What could have caused this, and how can I correct it.
This electrical wiring question came from: Lawrence, a Homeowner from Boca Raton, Florida.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Lawrence.
How to Replace a Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switch
Application: Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switch.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Materials: Make sure the replacement pull chain switch has the same as the original switch, and is fully compatible with the ceiling fan you have.
Wiring a Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switch
Before Replacing a Pull Chain Switch
- Make sure you are purchasing the right pull chain switch because there are several different types that are available for a variety of applications.
- Before removing the existing pull chain switch make sure to identify the wiring connections.
- Mark with tape or use a permanent marker.
- After identifying the pull chain switch wiring the switch may be removed so that you can take it to the hardware store to purchase a replacement.
- Never throw the old pull chain switch away until you know that the replacement switch is the right one.
Installing a Pull Chain Switch
- When replacing a ceiling fan pull chain switch be sure the wiring connections are insulated and secure.
- Make the wiring connections the same as they were with the original switch, and use wire connectors to splice the wires together.
- Check to make sure the wires that attach to the switch are secure, and there are no areas of bare wire that are visible.
Troubleshooting a Problem with a Pull Chain Switch
- If a pull chain switch made a popping sound and then stopped working this could be an indication that the wiring is incorrect, or that there is another problem with the light fixture.
- A popping sound is the result of the electrical current passing thru the contacts of the switch. If there is a direct short within the circuit if the light fixture this could create a popping sound and may damage the pull chain switch.
- Be sure to inspect the light fixture wiring for any damage or pinched wires which could occur during the installation process.
More about Wiring a Ceiling Fan and Switches
- How to Wire and Install a Ceiling Fan
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring.
- Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Ceiling Fans, Electrical Wiring, Pull Chain Switch and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How To Repair Your Light Fixtures||How To Connect Ceiling Fan Wires|