Wiring a Radar Detector to a Switch
I have wired my radar detector to my car to a 12 volt cigarette lighter, I installed a toggle switch, with two prongs, every-time that I turn the toggle switch off, it blows the 2 amp fuse…
Wiring a Switch for a Car Radar Detector
Question: I have wired my radar detector to my car to a 12 volt cigarette lighter that I wired to my radio fuse so that it only turns on when i turn the ignition on. I installed a toggle switch, with two prongs (positive and negative) so that when i turn my car on i can then turn the radar detector on and off. however every-time that I turn the toggle switch off, it blows the 2 amp fuse that is in the tip of the cigarette lighter plug in, I am sure its the right fuse and I cannot understand why it keeps blowing? when i turn the ignition on the radar turns on, then once i switch the toggle it turns off, but wont turn back on and the fuse blows. Any ideas?
This electrical question came from: Jeff, a Homeowner from Vancouver, Canada.
See more about Home Wiring for Canada
Thanks for your electrical question Jeff.
Wiring a Switch for a Radar Detector
Jeff, when wiring a toggle switch for the radar detector it is not necessary to wire the negative wire to the switch. What is happening with the way you wired the toggle switch is that you have created a direct short, or a direct path from the positive to the negative and this is causing the fuse to blow. The toggle switch should be wired so that the positive enters one terminal and the other terminal is used for the positive wire to the radar detector. The negative wire for the radar detector should attach directly to the negative wire for the radar detector.
The Following links will assist you with your electrical question:
Electrical Newsletters Archive
Ask The Electrician Electrical Newsletters Archive
For more information about Automotive Wiring
How to install wiring for a car stereo and understand all the speaker wiring colors.
|« Home Electrical Power Description||Dimmer Switches for 220 Volt Lights »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.