» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Wiring a Combination GFCI Receptacle and Switch
How to Wire a GFCI Combo Switch Receptacle Outlet – The same is true for the GFI outlet connections. This GFI switch combo will either come with wired leads for connecting to your existing wires or there will be screw terminals for direct wired connections of your existing wires. With the screw terminals you will typically have the option of sharing the same power source or separate power sources.
Installing a Combination GFCI Receptacle and Switch
[ad#block] Electrical Question: I want to install a Combination GFCI receptacle and Switch Combo.
Could you help me with a diagram before I buy it?
The combo switch and receptacle is a Pass & Seymour 15952SWTWWCC4.
This combo GFI electrical Wiring question came from: Tony, a Homeowner from Brighton, Colorado
Additional Comments: Really like your site.
Thanks for your combo switch and receptacle question Tony.
Skill Level: Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of outlets that will be replaced.
Precaution: Identify the outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional outlet wiring should be done with a permit and be inspected.
How to Wire a GFCI Combo Switch Receptacle Outlet
- Tony, I searched for detailed information about the GFI and switch combination you want to buy and unfortunately I could not locate a wiring diagram. I can tell you from experience that I have installed similar GFI and switch combination devices and found them to be very easy to wire. The switch function should have separate connections just as a normal switch or as in other configurations there may be two switches which share the same primary power source.
- The same is true for the GFI outlet connections. This GFI switch combo will either come with wired leads for connecting to your existing wires or there will be screw terminals for direct wired connections of your existing wires. With the screw terminals you will typically have the option of sharing the same power source or separate power sources.
- This can be configured by the bridge or tab that joins the screw terminal connection surface which can be left in place for a shared power source or the tab can be removed so that separate power sources may be connected separately.
A wiring diagram showing this wiring configuration can be seen at: Switched Outlet Wiring
More about Wiring GFI Outlets and Switches
- Step-By-Step Procedure that must be performed for Switch wed Outlets to Function.
- One very important element can be easily overlooked as you will see in these pictures.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about GFCI Receptacle and Switch and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Installing a Ceiling Fan Without a Ground Wire||Converting to a Radiant Floor Heat System|