Wiring a Bathroom Light Fixture
Installing a New Light Fixture and Making the Wire Connections: I just bought a new bathroom light fixture and installed it and it doesn’t work
Light Fixture Wiring and Wire Connectors
Electrical Question: I just bought a new bathroom light fixture with 12 gauge wiring. I installed it and it doesn’t work.
- I think, based on the manual, it’s because the wires coming from the wall are a different wire gauge, maybe 10 or 8.
- Is there a special type of wire connector I should use to fix this?
This electrical question came from: Grant, a Homeowner from Columbus, Ohio.
Thanks for your electrical question Grant.
Installing a New Light Fixture and Making the Wire Connections
- The wire size for the bathroom lighting circuit should be either #12 or #14.
- The gauge of the wiring will not prevent the light fixture from working, however not having a good connection with the wires can.
- Chose the correct wire connector for the actual wire gauge and number of wires that will be spliced together.
- See the chart of wire connectors at the Electrical Wire page for more information.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Browse other questions about this topic:
Bathroom Light Fixture bathroom light wiring, connectors for wires, electrical wiring connectors, fixture wire gauge, light fixture, wiring a light fixture
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.