Installing Electrical Boxes In Plaster Walls
How to Install Electrical Boxes For a Smooth Finish: The result will be a smooth finished look of the wall and the electrical devices.
Positioning Electrical Back Boxes For a Smooth Finish
[ad#block]Electrical Question: When fitting an MK3704 Mounting frame do I have to sink the back Box further into the wall rather than flush to the plaster? I ask because, when screwed to the box, the mounting frame seems to sit proud of the back box and as such the plastic switch cover does not look as if it would sit flush to the wall.
This electrical question came from: Brian, a Handyman from London England.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Brian.
How to Install Electrical Boxes For a Smooth Finish
Application: Installing Home Electric Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced.
Tools Required: Electricians Pouch of Hand Tools for Rough-In Wiring, Electric Drill and Auger Bits, Extension Cords, and a Ladder as needed.
Safety: All personal safety measures must be taken when performing remodel projects where you may come into contact with hazardous materials and environmental contaminants such as fiberglass insulation, vermiculite and asbestos, molds or mildew, as well as dust.
Estimated Time: Depends on the extent of the project, the type of wall coverings and structural construction and available access to the project area.
Precaution: Any existing wiring in the immediate area that may interfere with the installation should be identified and turned OFF and Tagged.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring or upgrading existing electrical circuits and wiring should always be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Installing Junction Boxes for a Flush Finish
- Yes Brian, You want the edge of the finished box ring to be flush with finished surface of the wall.
- The result will be a smooth finished look of the wall and the electrical devices.
- The electrical box should be securely mounted.
- The face of the junction box should be flush with the surface of the finished wall.
- If the box appears to flex slightly then more support should be added to the mounting or stud side of the box.
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
- Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for.
- Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance.
- One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed.
- The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
For more information about Home Wiring
Basic Home Wiring Diagrams with Pictures
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Junction Boxes and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Splicing Electrical Wiring In an Attic||Wiring a Bathroom Light Fixture|