Wiring a 4-Wire Range Cord to a 3-Wire Outlet
Can I install a 3 wire cord on a new stove and strap the neutral and ground on the stove terminals? Ground and Neutral Wiring for a 220 Volt Range.
Electrical Wiring for a 220 Volt Range
- I have an older house with an old 3 wire range.
- The receptacle is wired with 2 hot wires and a un-insulated twisted aluminum conductor for ground.
- The replacement stove has a 4 wire, 2 hots, neutral and ground.
- The new stove uses the the neutral for all the 110v circuits.
- Is it legal to install a 3 wire cord on the new stove and strap the neutral and ground on the stove terminals?
- This would make the ground at the receptacle a current carrier.
Thanks for your electrical question Jeffrey.
Wiring a 220Volt or 240Volt Range Cord
Application: Wiring a 220 Volt or 240 Range Cord.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the available access to the range cord electrical connection box.
Precaution: Identify the range circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the range cord wiring.
Ground and Neutral Wiring for a 220 Volt Range
Fully explained wiring instructions complete with a picture series of an installation and wiring diagrams can be found here in the Kitchen Range area here in this website. Just click the Wiring a Kitchen Range Cord link found below:
More about Wiring a Range Cord
For more information about 220 Volt Wiring Diagram
220 Volt Wiring Diagram
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
Make sure not to miss these Resources for: How-To-Videos
For Best Results Consult a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Locate An Electrical Contractor in Your Area
Browse other questions in the following categories:
220 Volt Wiring
Or Ask Dave a Question