Why do my outlets have 120 volts and nothing works?
In my house a series of outlets are reading 120V on the meter but when I plug something into any of them the device does not…
Electrical Question from Dominick about outlets that do not work
Question: In my house a series of outlets are reading 120V on the meter but when I plug something into any of them the device does not work. I thought it was the breaker so I turned it off then back on again, still, devices do not work. I went ahead and replaced the breaker with one that is 30amp. I am getting the same result. It is really beginning to frustrate me! I have used other voltmeters to test the plugs and all are reading 120V, but when I plug ANY device into ANY of these outlets I get nothing. What is happening?
Thanks for your electrical question Dominick.
First I must state this: NEVER replace a circuit breaker with a larger size. This creates the potential to overheat the circuit wiring and which could cause a house fire!
Here are a few questions I have about this:
How are you testing for voltage at the outlets?
If your testing hot to ground then make sure to also test hot to neutral.
There could be a problem where the neutral wire is open.
Did this just occur by itself, or has the wiring been altered or new wiring installed recently?
The Following links will assist you with your electrical question:
Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring
For more information about 220 Volt Wiring Diagram
220 Volt Wiring Diagram
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
Make sure not to miss these Resources for: How-To-Videos
Be Careful and Be Safe – Never Work on Energized Circuits!
For Best Results Consult a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Locate An Electrical Contractor in Your Area
Browse other questions about this topic:
Electrical Outlets, Troubleshooting, wiring
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.