Wire Connections for a Kitchen Range
How to Wire a Kitchen Range: Ground Strap Connection and Wiring Configuration, Electric Range Installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system.
Electrical Wiring a Kitchen Range
Electrical Question: When hooking up a Frigidaire range the green wire & the white wire were hooked up with the ground strap still connected.
- When the unit was plugged in the lights in the kitchen flickered.
- We immediately unplugged range & unhooked the strap.
- When the range was plugged back in the top burners work but the digital controls for the oven, the oven light, & the hot surface indicator lights for the burners are not working.
- Could hooking up the unit with ground strap in place by mistake burn out the circuit board or could there be another problem?
This electrical wiring question came from: Patricia, from Pelion, South Carolina.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Patricia.
How to Wire a Kitchen Range
Application: 220Volt or 240Volt Range Cord Wiring.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the available access to the range cord electrical connection box.
Precaution: Identify the range circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the range cord wiring.
Ground Strap Connection and Wiring Configuration
Connections for a Kitchen Range
- Patricia, it seems a little remote that this occurrence was related to the ground strap, but it may be possible. I mention this because the range does allow for the connection to be one way or the other, otherwise the ground strap would not have the capability to be in either configuration but rather be configured for one connection type only.
- It may be that there was another unrelated problem or a defective component within the range.
- It would also be a good idea to check all the connections of the cord and the receptacle.
More about How to Wire a Range
Wiring a Kitchen Range Power Cord
Fully Described Electric Range Installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system. You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric range. Lets look at how the electric range is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« The Cause of an Electric Spark||Electrical Wiring for a Washer and Dryer Unit »|