» Home » Electrical Wiring Projects
» Residential Electrical Wiring: Dave's Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Wire Connections for 3-Wire Range Cords
How are the wires connected to an electric range? Wire Connections, 220 and 240 Volt Range Cord.
Identifying 3-Wire Range Cord Wires
[ad#block]Electrical Question: How are the wires connected to an electric range?
- I am installing a 3 wire power cord onto a Crosley Kitchen Range.
- The plug wires are not color coded and the stove wires are.
- So how do I know which wires go where on the stoves?
- I do know which one is the neutral.
This electrical wiring question came from: Candace, a Homeowner from Louisville, Kentucky.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Candace.
How to Wire a Kitchen Range Cord
Application: 220 Volt or 240 Volt Range Cord Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate – Best wired by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch of Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the available access to the range cord electrical connection box.
Precaution: Identify the range circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before wiring the range cord.
Wiring a 3-Wire Range Cord
- 3Wire Cord
With a 3-wire 220 volt connection, once the neutral or ground has been identified then the remaining two wires are the two hot wires and each one is attached to the black or red of the range.
- Circuit Power Wires
It does not matter which of the two black and red wires goes where, but they must be positively identified.
- Ground Wire of a Flat Cord
Typically with a flat 3-wire range cord the center wire is the ground, and the two outside wires are the power wires.
More about Wiring a Kitchen Range Cord
- Wiring a Kitchen Range Power Cord
- Fully Described Electric Range Installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system.
- You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric range.
- Lets look at how the electric range is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
- How to Install Kitchen Electrical Wiring
Kitchen Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Kitchen Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Range and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|What Size Light Bulb Is Safe For Fixtures?||My circuits do not work right, is my electrical fuse box safe?|